Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

How tight is this...

(59 Posts)
aloha Fri 08-Jul-05 17:20:04

We are buying a house. Offered asking price and was accepted straight away. We are very nice, no hassle buyers - eg we got a damp report on instruction from building soc which recommended that we get the damp course redone in places, but agreed it was probably just moneymaking for firm so didn't bother reducing our offer.
But yester day we go the list of stuff they are planning to take from/leave in the property. Amoung many other things they are planning to take:
The garden shed (nothing remotely fancy)
Every single blind (which were made to fit the windows)
All the curtain poles
The *fully integrated* dishwasher (which isn't v new - we bought one last week which we plan to leave for our buyers)
The bloody *dimmer switches*
- surprised they aren't taking the floorboards!

starlover Fri 08-Jul-05 17:21:25

what possible use could they have for made-to-meaure blinds????????

Miaou Fri 08-Jul-05 17:24:09

Ask them if they are taking the light bulbs too!

Sorry not really funny is it, on your behalf!

katierocket Fri 08-Jul-05 17:25:24

are they very speciaaaaal dimmer switches?!

agree, ridiculous

okapi Fri 08-Jul-05 17:26:49

bonkers - hope they replace the switches and don't leave bare wires

and don't forget to pack a couple of toilet rolls in somewhere accessible when you move

LIZS Fri 08-Jul-05 17:27:12

What a cheek ! You could chance that they don't bother with shed and switches. Ours took all curtain poles and substituted different curtains for those we'd seen.

okapi Fri 08-Jul-05 17:27:28

oops should ahve called it lavatory paper

super1971 Fri 08-Jul-05 17:28:40

i dont think they are allowed to take anything intergrated in the kitchen when sold our house what our estate agent told u as having it in when we put the house up implies it is included - plus the same for dimmer light - i would check , but agree how mean

tamum Fri 08-Jul-05 17:30:04

I agree, I didn't think it was permissible to take fully integrated stuff. What a load of meanies.

super1971 Fri 08-Jul-05 17:30:49

sorry such bad spelling and grammer must be tired

WigWamBam Fri 08-Jul-05 17:31:02

You would be entitled to reduce your offer if you were led to believe that the price included everything that you saw.

Twiglett Fri 08-Jul-05 17:36:13

are you sure they really are going to do that? actually take them with them, they might just have done that on the inventory

I would speak to them about it (or estate agent) and complain vociferously, I am sure they will not want to lose a sale for the cost of those items, especially in this market

fishfinger Fri 08-Jul-05 17:36:45

bet they dont though

Miaou Fri 08-Jul-05 17:40:43

I would think that if they take the dimmer switches then they would be legally obliged to replace them with ordinary ones, not leave bare wires. Hardly seems worth the effort, does it?

Have you still got the original details, aloha? I bet you anything that the dimmer switches are listed as part of the description (sort of thing estate agents love to stick down).

aloha Fri 08-Jul-05 17:42:51

will check details - know the garden stores (low level shed thingies built into garden were included and they say they are taking them too - they will have to dismantle them!!

beetroot Fri 08-Jul-05 17:43:35

Message withdrawn

aloha Fri 08-Jul-05 17:49:06

hmmm....wouldn't be surprised Beety. think the are so mean!
hope cod is right.

bossykate Fri 08-Jul-05 18:12:41

omg you appear to be buying from the same people we bought our house from!

Nightynight Fri 08-Jul-05 18:26:23

dimmer switches?? they should get a life!

GeorginaA Fri 08-Jul-05 18:32:52

When we moved in all the fittings were taken from the bathrooms (towel rails, loo roll holders etc) and all the light fittings (replaced with those single light bulb white dangle things - that's the technical term).

However, they did leave curtains (though we specified we wanted them), the shed and a fridge, so can't complain too much The bathroom fittings REALLY annoyed me though.

WideWebWitch Fri 08-Jul-05 18:37:47

I was going to say this sounded similar to your experience bk! How far along are you Aloha, are you tempted to reduce your offer on the day of exchange? I would be tempted to try it on, it's a tough market, falling, falling apparently. Tossers.

Hermione1 Fri 08-Jul-05 18:37:51

Ours were extremely generous, they left us all their junk, that they'd said they would get rid of, the garden shed is full of their stuff(haven't got around to emptying it yet...3 years ago} Left us a lovely carpet which after three days of the gas fire being put on, hatcched out fleas and because at that time we had no animals they all bit us, had to rip it up in the end.

franke Fri 08-Jul-05 18:38:09

Seriously, if I were you, get an appointment to view the house the day before you complete and check what state they've left it in. If they have taken dimmer switches (ffs <rolling eyes emoticon>) they should leave safe, working switches in their place. They should also clear out all their clutter. I only say this cos we didn't do this check last time we bought a house and they left the cellar and the garden shed absolutely full of rubbish, broken furniture etc. We had to get a skip to get rid of it. We had foolishly taken the estate agent at her word that the house was clear and we just didn't have the energy to chase the sellers through solicitors. It put a real dampener on our move.

Socci Fri 08-Jul-05 18:38:29

Message withdrawn

TinyGang Fri 08-Jul-05 19:05:57

Maybe they could suck the oxygen out of the house before they leave. Some people!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now