Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

anyone got any money saving tips?

(20 Posts)
juicychops Thu 07-Jul-05 16:32:24

we are gunna start buying our shopping on line as we will save money on getting a cab and we also wont be tempted to buy stuff we dont need.
anyone got any other little money saving tips? im gunna do a serious money plan tonight cos we havent hardly got any

compo Thu 07-Jul-05 16:36:44

meal planning

jessicaandbumpsmummy Thu 07-Jul-05 16:37:46

dont go out unless you HAVE to! i find if i go out for a wander, i spend money!

Plan trips such as park etc that are free, and limit things like swimming etc to once a week/fortnight

Chuffed Fri 08-Jul-05 11:12:27

don't go 'browsing'. Give your wardrobe a good sort work out things you might need and then stick to those things only as 'allowed' purchases if you do go near the shops.

tarantula Fri 08-Jul-05 11:15:37

dont go to the pub

janinlondon Fri 08-Jul-05 11:26:54

If you are using Tesco make sure you get the discount voucher numbers from the Moneysavingexpert site.

dizzydo Fri 08-Jul-05 11:39:13

I used to be really snobby about Charity shops but you get some great bargains (and labels) in them. Go for the ones in the rich areas.

stitch Fri 08-Jul-05 11:40:52

cook all your meals from scratch. eat cheap stuff, get discount codes. etc

starlover Fri 08-Jul-05 11:41:19

dp and i have just started an allowance scheme to stop ourselves buying bits and pieces taht we see.

we each get £10 a week and keep each others debit cards so that we can't spend more.

expatinscotland Fri 08-Jul-05 11:43:47

Get a freeview box and subscribe to one of those sites that sends you unlimited DVDs for about a tenner a month - amazon is cheapest at £7.99/month. Saves heaps when you stay in and watch a film instead of going out.

If you smoke, stop!

Cut back on drinking - save tons.

Listmaker Fri 08-Jul-05 11:44:16

I do meal planning and then write my list accordingly. This means I use everything I buy and don't throw too much out.

I use Sainsbury's on line and if you get it delivered on a Tues, Wed or Thurs and spend over £70 you get free delivery. Pick a time between 5 and 6pm and they sometimes get stuck in traffic and if they are a minute late they give you £10 off vouchers for your next shop!!!

ninah Fri 08-Jul-05 11:44:26

sorry, no
will watch with interest tho

kama Fri 08-Jul-05 11:45:19

Message withdrawn

Listmaker Fri 08-Jul-05 11:46:21

Have you changed to the cheapest provider for gas and electricity.

If you are with BT think about using Talk Talk for calls - much cheaper and if you can get a friend to join them too you talk for free!!

spursmum Fri 08-Jul-05 11:47:30

Pay most or all of your bills by direct debit. A lot of companies give discount for the customer. Also a big one i found, log on to uswitch to check if your energy suppliers are the cheapest. I changed to Npower and get £50 discount every year for having both fuels and paying by dd and my bills went down! It will all add up.

21stcenturygirl Fri 08-Jul-05 12:50:48

Use call18866.co.uk for all your telephone calls - even cheaper than TalkTalk - Free Local & National calls anytime.

Listmaker Fri 08-Jul-05 12:57:49

Good tip 21stCG! But the link doesn't seem to work or are they just temporarily down or something - do you still rent the line from BT on that one?

spacedonkey Fri 08-Jul-05 13:00:16

Keep a list of items you want to buy (larger items, not groceries obviously) - if you're tempted to make a purchase, put it on this list for 30 days before buying. Many times you'll realise after 30 days you don't want it or need it after all! Good for preventing impulse buys.

sorrel Fri 08-Jul-05 13:37:53

checkout money saving tips
always use your money off and points vouchers at supermarket
save some of child benefit each month in a separate account- how i pay for holidays
shop at Lidl for essentials first and then go to tesco/Asda for the rest.
always buy large packets of pasta/ rice and potatoes- i buy catering size from Asian cash and carry.

Blondeinlondon Fri 08-Jul-05 13:59:15

This site is good for tips and reviews of accounts/credit cards etc

moneysaving expert

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now