Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

What Should I Sell On E-bay?

(30 Posts)
colette Sun 03-Jul-05 12:36:51

I am wondering if I could make some money selling items on e-bay . I haven't sold anything yet and will start by selling a few items I have kicking about the house for "practice" .
So what is a good thing to sell? I would like to have a reasonably constant source of products and
not too much storage space
BIL sells cds and does well but I don't have his extensive/ bordering on obssesive knowledge.

burstingbug Sun 03-Jul-05 13:42:17

I sold 3 rings on ebay which I haven't worn for a few years, I got a total of around £20 for them.
They great thing about Ebay is you can sell almost anything on there.
Just dig around your house and find things that you've not used or worn for a while, you'll be suprised what people will buy, I'm always on the hunt for stuff on Ebay

poppy101 Sun 03-Jul-05 13:48:23

I tell you what goes incredibly well on ebay, I was surprised at the price is tots nappies, they can go for a silly price, you can sometimes buy brand new one cheaper.

Also another recent items I looked at was second hand trainers, particularly the american branded items.

Fran1 Sun 03-Jul-05 13:50:37

I did the same as you and sold all the tat from around my house. i made about £300 just after one clear out, mixture of clothes, ornaments and useless objects!

Things went down hill when we started trying to sell things we thought would be popular like old coins, antique vases etc.
We know there value, but it just wasn't the right place to sell them.

The best thing i sold was a tiny figure of a gnome pulling a moony which i had got about ten years previous out of a kinder egg. Sold it for about a tenner to someone in the USA.

The best tips are - be honest with your prices for postage, offer to sell abroad, but only accept payment in sterling/paypal and remember to check what ebay and paypal fees will be to ensure you aren't going to be at a loss. OR like me take the risk, you win some you lose some!

colette Sun 03-Jul-05 15:56:48

Thanks for your replies, so I really need to just make a start and go for it. Poopy101 I think I have a few tots nappies somewhere .

spidermama Sun 03-Jul-05 15:59:27

People will buy just about anything. I've sold clothes, furniture, baby stuff. Designer makes sell better especially if in good condition. Washable nappy stuff too, as mentioned.

colette Sun 03-Jul-05 16:11:03

Do you think it is worth buying things in charity shops(obviously good condition ) and selling on and if so what?

spidermama Sun 03-Jul-05 16:20:00

I've bought a few things in 2nd hand shops and sold them on Collette. Only when I happen to see them. Best familiarise yourself with what sells well on ebay first. They have to be designer labels (especially the surf ones like O'Neill, Billabong and Kangaroo Poo) and in very good condition.

Yorkiegirl Sun 03-Jul-05 16:34:15

Message withdrawn

vickiyumyum Sun 03-Jul-05 17:12:50

kids clothes sell well, especially if they are in very good condition and brand names such as next, gap, boden and designer stuff like dkny, diesel. burberry kids stuff sells very well, i got rid of all my kids burberry stuff on ebay and on most of it made more than i paid for it! the stuff i sold was quite discreet burberry and i had plenty of emails asking if i had any 'louder' burberry items to sell.
one thing i will say though is that i have made a fair bit of money out of selling clothes on ebay, however i am going to stop and go back to car booting as its just too much hassle with post office/couriers everyday, especially if you are working. and paypal take money off the money you receive and it takes a couple of days to be transferred from your paypal account to your bank account.

thedogmother Sun 03-Jul-05 17:16:34

We've sold a few things on e-bay but recently I was trying to sell a Boots Hedge Rose Tea/Coffee/Sugar set which no longer goes with my new kitchen, but got no bids at all.

I thought you could sell just about anything but this proved me wrong!

So, if you know anyone who wants them, p&p only!

colette Sun 03-Jul-05 18:46:08

Sorry Poppy101 for the sp mistake
All your replies are really interesting, especially as I quite fancy doing clothes and as I am a sahm I could trawl the charity shops and have time to go to the post office at quiet times.
Vickiyumyum I have some Burberry 3/4 lenghth jeans I bought in a charity shop for dd and don't really like them I am quite excited now!! Boring life

Tinker Sun 03-Jul-05 18:49:08

Can you sell a Gaggia espresso maker for £10 please? We want one

colette Sun 03-Jul-05 19:23:14

Tinker
Not yet but I may expand into kitchenware in the autumn and will look out for one for you

TwinSetAndPearls Sun 03-Jul-05 19:37:17

I want a kitchenaid mixer if you are going into kitchenalia!

janeybops Sun 03-Jul-05 19:46:14

I have found baby stuff goes well.

Also have bought things like Hornsea china at carboots and then sold it on, not a huge profit though!

vickiyumyum Sun 03-Jul-05 20:04:23

i think that it is mad the price burberry kids items go for on ebay. i went through a phase of really liking their stuff for kids (even though i wouldn't be seen dead in it)but then realised i was making them look like mini chavs!!! i had some really nice discreet jeans that i loved ds2 in but he grew out of them really quickly.
if you brought them in a charity shop you'll def make more than your money back!
i sold a jumper that i had brought for £30 in the sale for£54!!!!
and a t-shirt that my friend had given me from her son for £28!! i see the t-shirts going for ridciulous prices the ones that sell for about £25 new in the shop going for at least that if not more

lunavix Sun 03-Jul-05 20:06:20

Baby items with a 'cult' feeling go really well.

I've noticed Next and Boden baby clothes will often sell for more than their value when they go down in the sale. So you could buy second hand or even new sale Next items and make money.

Very popular baby items - totsbots, bumble nappies, hippychick hipseats, bumbos etc sell for often more than new!

vickiyumyum Sun 03-Jul-05 20:08:14

i really don't understand this ebay culture of buying second hand goods for more than brand new, especially when the brand new item is still on sale in the shop!

Whizzz Sun 03-Jul-05 20:10:17

I believe Winnie the Pooh stuff always sells well as well as general childrens stuff / clothes

colette Sun 03-Jul-05 20:20:44

Thanks for the tips, the burberry jeans are my first item . I have juist read flossams thread re 50p Sofa's and it has made me think about the listing fees . It is great gathering information and tips before I start. Thanks

treacletart Sun 03-Jul-05 20:53:19

I've noticed quite a lot of Primark stuff going for silly prices

vickiyumyum Sun 03-Jul-05 21:09:14

one tip i have learnt is that if you want £1 as your starting bid put it at 99p start as the listing fee is cheaper 15p opposed to 20p.

colette Sun 03-Jul-05 22:40:02

Thanks for the tip vickiyumyum . Treacletart that is unbelievable, maybe some people don't recognise the brand name. I am inspired to start

moondog Sun 03-Jul-05 22:49:57

Am i the only person in the world never to haVE LOOKED ON ebAY??

sERIOUSLY THOUGH,ISN'T IT MASSIVELY TIME (sorry-laptop gone nuts) consuming,especially for things worth £5 and under?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now