Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

someone using my address

(15 Posts)
geranium Fri 24-Jun-05 10:41:28

In the last couple of days I have received two quotes for travel insurance for some couple I have never heard of but addressed to my address complete with correct postcode. I have rung up both companies and warned them that no such person lives at my address but I am slightly wondering whether someone is hoping to use my address for fraudulent (sp?) purposes and I am wondering whether there is any other person or body I should report this to to safeguard me and my address. Any ideas? Anyone else had this?

Thanks

starlover Fri 24-Jun-05 10:42:18

hmmm, i have no idea what you should do... but would definitely look into it further and report it to... to someone!

starlover Fri 24-Jun-05 10:42:52

if they're booking travel insurance in your name you wanna make sure they arent booking a holiday too and using your credit card details or whatever!

SaintGeorge Fri 24-Jun-05 10:48:44

Have you tried searching the name and postcode on 192.com? It could just be a mistake in the house number.

We had something similiar last year, the digits in the house number had been reversed. I didn't recognise the name, despite them being close neighbours, as the people were fairly new to the area.

geranium Fri 24-Jun-05 11:00:52

Thanks SaintGeorge. I've just tried 192.com. No result for her name plus my address. Just putting in my address gives a couple of results but I have to pay for them and since putting in the other person's name didn't lead to anything, I probably won't check further on 192. However, the results on 192.com do make me think that it is not an honest mistake but a delibrate (sp?again!) tactic so I'm more than ever keen to report it to someone but who??

geranium Fri 24-Jun-05 11:00:57

Thanks SaintGeorge. I've just tried 192.com. No result for her name plus my address. Just putting in my address gives a couple of results but I have to pay for them and since putting in the other person's name didn't lead to anything, I probably won't check further on 192. However, the results on 192.com do make me think that it is not an honest mistake but a delibrate (sp?again!) tactic so I'm more than ever keen to report it to someone but who??

SaintGeorge Fri 24-Jun-05 11:14:08

geranium - I have some credits available. If you want me to have a search around for you get in touch.

antlxstew @ yahoo.co.uk (remove spaces)

geranium Fri 24-Jun-05 12:09:08

SaintGeorge, that's really kind. In the first instance, I'm just going to follow up a couple of telephone numbers the local Citizens Advice Bureau has suggested and if they think I should be worried, I may well get in touch! Thanks again.

And still, if anyone else has had anything like this or has recommendations on ways to follow it up, that would still be welcome. Thanks.

geranium Fri 24-Jun-05 19:55:31

bump - anyone?

flashingnose Fri 24-Jun-05 20:00:01

here

Hausfrau Fri 24-Jun-05 20:00:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Janh Fri 24-Jun-05 20:17:36

Like hausfrau, there is a similar address to ours - we live in P Road, and there is a row further up just called P. It has a different postcode but computers often change their address to ours. Could this have happened?

There are also an M Road, M Avenue and M Crescent, all adjoining (why do builders do this?)(Well they don't any more, they have fancy-schmancy names now, but why did they?)

Hausfrau Sat 25-Jun-05 12:33:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Freckle Sat 25-Jun-05 12:47:12

It might be worth checking with the post office to see if there are any redirection instructions relating to your address. If someone is using your address fraudulently, it's not going to do them any good if you receive any post intended for them. They might, therefore, have left redirection instructions with the p.o. relating to their name and your address. This would mean that all post addressed to you would still be delivered, but any addressed to them would be redirected. The post you have received might just have slipped through the net.

geranium Sat 25-Jun-05 19:32:11

Thanks Freckle and Flashingnose. I'll follow those two points up. On the posts about honest mistakes, we have had post previously addressed to people with our road name but Street rather than Crescent but on these occasions, they seem to have got the address completely right, postcode and everything so seems a bit more calculating. Slightly unnerving actually!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now