Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tell me what can go wrong?????

(6 Posts)
redsky Thu 23-Jun-05 23:49:56

Today has been FANTASTICALLY exciting - but I may be jumping the gun a bit. The house of my dreams became available a few weeks ago. It is so unbelievably gorgeous I am almost speechless (unusual for me). Today we heard our offer has been accepted. Our bank manager says he will be making a case for us to get a 100% mortgage - which shouldn't be a problem as our assets (shares, flats, investments etc) come to three times the cost of the property. We also have enough money available for the renovations it needs before we move in. So financially everything looks fine - so can I get excited yet?? - or are there loads of potential hazards ahead before I can be truly confident it's mine!! (I don't think we would get gazumped because the owners kept the property off the open market until we came in with an offer first.)

moondog Thu 23-Jun-05 23:54:46

Sounds good but steady,lady!
Survey done yet?

This is a subject very close to my heart.Just waiting for someone to sign on the dotted line and take our bloody house away that is costing us an arm and a leg!!!

redsky Fri 24-Jun-05 00:41:07

Not the full structural - well not in writing - but our surveyor gave us enough of a briefing to enable us to gauge the offer. I guess the mortgage company's surveyor could still find some reason why they would not want to loan us the money - but if we have the dosh to put it right anyway then it shouldn't be a problem - should it??

I guess land registry could still throw up some nasty surprises. When the house next door to the one we are buying was sold 2 years ago it took the solicitors TWO YEARS to sort out which bits of land belonged to the property - and the deeds to different bits were held by different offices!

What else should I be wary about?????

And when is it safe to tell the children they are going to have a house at last? They are aged 17 and 12 and we have lived in this small flat above the pub for ten years. DD doesn't remember ever living anywhere else and yearns to live in a 'proper' house with a kitchen; and ds remembers only too well the lovely house we lived in before we moved into the pub. So this is a BIIIIIIGGGG thing for both the children and I don't want to build their hopes up prematurely. They know we are looking at buying this house - and I'm dying to be able to say to them that it is DEFINITE.

redsky Fri 24-Jun-05 09:45:17

bump

moondog Fri 24-Jun-05 10:18:08

Sounds like you have good reason to be cautiously optimistic then.
(But I was tgold that 30% of situations like this never come to fruition,hence me not getting too excited about selling our house,despite the people having had a survey and agreeing on a price)

Really hope it works out for you (which it should).
Sounds fab-you will revel in all that extra space!

redsky Fri 24-Jun-05 15:40:31

thanks moondog - cautiously optomistic sounds good enough for now. I'll hold back from telling the kids for a bit. thanks for your kind thoughts .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now