Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

I've been turned down for a credit card

(16 Posts)
Easy Wed 22-Jun-05 16:31:16

Applied for the Virgin card to get 0% for balance transfers for 9 months, and for the first time ever I've been refused !!

It's shocked me. Does it mean that I have a problem somewhere? I do have outstanding balances, but am keeping up the payments nicely, have never defaulted.

Lived here for 7 years, so it's not that.

Virgin is run by MBNA, and I do hold 3 of their cards (no balance on them now tho'), and 2 TSB credit cards that I haven't used for ages have cancelled the account. So surely it isn't a bad credit rating, is it?

crunchie Wed 22-Jun-05 16:48:24

They might think since you already hold that many cards with them (although unsed) that you are too great a credit risk as you could run all the cards to the max and then default. I would close all the cards you don't use and then try again. Have you tried EGG?

Lizzylou Wed 22-Jun-05 16:49:17

Sometimes it can be that your credit rating is too good, they won't make any money out of you!

CountessDracula Wed 22-Jun-05 16:49:39

Don't worry I was turned down for another mbna card on the basis that I already had a virgin one.

Kaz33 Wed 22-Jun-05 16:51:31

I think the problem is that you have there cards already, I got turned down by Virgin for the same reason.

You can check your credit rating for free through Experian.

Lastly, great website for all latest deals and chat is the motleyfool.co.uk

katierocket Wed 22-Jun-05 16:52:06

probaby not 'bad credit rating'. Why not get a copy of your credit reference file from experien and see what's on it. Companies use credit scoring to decide whether or not to lend/give cards and they take into account lots of different factors, including amount of credit already have, salaries, amount of time at property and tons of other stuff. They don't have to tell you why they've refused you but it'd be worth you getting a copy of your file.
see
here

spykid Wed 22-Jun-05 16:52:26

was told by a financial advisor that you can be turned down for having too little debt!!!
you stand more chance of bneing accepted if you owe loads of money!!!

QueenOfQuotes Wed 22-Jun-05 16:56:03

spy - that's about right.....if you've got lots of debt - but you're paying in back on time, then you're more likely to get 'more' credit as you've got a 'history' which they can see.

Easy Wed 22-Jun-05 16:57:15

Well, we do owe quite a bit on 2 cards, which is why I wanted the balance transfer !

I guess it might be because I keep ignoring MBNAs offers to transfer to my existing cards at 3.9 % or more.

tallulah Wed 22-Jun-05 17:28:21

When I applied for a Virgin card it took ages before I heard anything. They rang me in the end & said they had a problem in that I already had 2 MBNA cards so they couldn't lend any additional credit. Both cards are at zero. I told them I was happy for them to reduce the biggest credit limit by half & transfer that limit to the new card. They did that. I've been a bit superstitious about closing cards in case I get turned down again, but I think it helps if you have.

Might be worth giving them a ring?

Prufrock Thu 23-Jun-05 07:26:59

Easy - asa seasoned rate tart I am very used to both dh and I having applications turned down. In this case I owuld say it's because you are already up to your limit of available credit with MBNA companies. And because they can see form your history taht you are an unprofitable customer. I recently closed down all the cards where I had used up the 0% deal , and then applied for more, and did get a couple. You have to spread the debt between the underlying providers.

Once you have closed the MBNA and TSB, try applying for the Natwest (0% for 9 months) or Halifax/INtelligent Finance/Sainsburys (all issued by Halifax so only try one).

expatinscotland Thu 23-Jun-05 08:23:16

MBNA SUX! I had an MBNA card back in the States. They're corporate thieves! Never again would I go back to them. How can I find out which card companies they hold so I'll avoid them like the plague?

soapbox Thu 23-Jun-05 09:37:52

Easy

I play the 0% credit card ruse. I don't use it as a credit card but to top up my savings account (may as well get the benefit of the interest).

I have recently applied for a Sainburys card (RBS) which is 0% interest for 9 months. Why don't you try them?? They allow balance transfers.

I use the Motley Fool website to track who has the best 0% deals.

saffy202 Thu 23-Jun-05 09:46:58

I got turned down by Virgin. Was horrified but then a few days later I received another letter saying congratulations you have successfully been approved. Not sure what happened but I didn't question it and waited and sure enough the card arrived.

janinlondon Thu 23-Jun-05 10:01:37

Saffy are you sure the second offer had the same conditions as the first one you applied for? Its a common ruse with the CC companies to decline you for a low rate card and then accept you for a higher rate one. Just a thought. Check the fine print.

lunachic Thu 23-Jun-05 10:04:11

try capital one or barclaycard

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now