Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

lost wallet handed in. then given back out ?!? who is to blame

(6 Posts)
debs26 Sun 19-Jun-05 08:17:50

my little brother lost his wallet in town on the way to a festival. someone found it and handed it in at a shop. thankfully he noticed it had gone and cancelled his bank card but was away for a few days. in this time, the person who had handed it in went into the shop and asked if anyone had handed in a wallet - described it perfectly and was given it back by the shop staff. so little bro has lost £80. the police now know about it and apparently the guy is a known criminal and is lying low as he is wanted for a lot of stuff.

anyway - my question is this. who is responsible for the lost cash. is it little bro for losing it, the guy who nicked it (unlikely to get it back) or the shop for not handing the wallet in to the police? not sure if they are legally obliged to give it in or not. anyone know?

Freckle Sun 19-Jun-05 09:40:12

Seems strange that the same person claimed it back. Why didn't he just keep it in the first place?

How do the staff know it was the same person? If they recognised him from handing it in, presumably they would have been suspicious if he'd then claimed the wallet was his.

At the end of the day, I suspect that who is to blame is irrelevant. Your brother won't get his money back from the thief and, unless the shop accepts liability, he will have to sue to recover, which he probably won't do.

I think his best bet is to chalk it up to experience. I never carry much cash with me as cards can be cancelled, but money, once gone, is gone.

jambo1707 Sun 19-Jun-05 09:45:00

Dont think the shop are liuable i'm afraid

starlover Sun 19-Jun-05 09:45:02

hmm unfortunately i agree with freckle. i don't think you are obliged to hand something in if you find it.

edam Sun 19-Jun-05 11:07:45

Agree with the others - just unfortunate but not actionable, I would have thought.

debs26 Sun 19-Jun-05 15:50:29

thought i would ask others opinions as i know he isnt going to push this with anyone (not even polce for guys arrest) as he is just too laid back for his own good. my mum is the one who is most annoyed - was her money! thanks for replies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now