Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Bank charges - advice please

(8 Posts)
FanofFireworks Tue 10-Nov-09 08:59:02

I have the possibility of being charged £20 for going over my overdraft by £4.20....

Is there any way I can reduce that charge, or do I just have to swallow it? I was only over the OD for 12 hours if that makes any difference

<life sucks emoticon>

Disenchanted3 Tue 10-Nov-09 08:59:59

woww thats chep, I got charged about £60 last time!

FanofFireworks Tue 10-Nov-09 09:04:59

cheap, but little affordable on my income support existence!

Disenchanted3 Tue 10-Nov-09 09:32:39

Ring them, if you haven't done it before int he last 6 months/year they may waive it this time.

FanofFireworks Tue 10-Nov-09 20:58:29

haven't done it ever as far as I can remember...

squashedfrogs Tue 10-Nov-09 21:11:13

My DP mentioned that benefits are 'inalienable' to his bank and they stopped applying charges to his account. His only income is job seekers allowance which is considered to be the absolute minimum that a person needs to be able to live on and therefore they should not be taking any charges out of that money leaving him with insufficient funds to live on. He's also now considered to be in financial hardship and they offered a partial refund of previous charges.

squashedfrogs Tue 10-Nov-09 21:15:32

this moneysavingexpert forum should give you a bit more info.

Alambil Wed 11-Nov-09 03:46:25

thanks frogs

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now