Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Inheritance and Benefits

(6 Posts)
Doobydoo Fri 06-Nov-09 17:06:02

Advice would be appreciated.
I have received money from a relatives will.
My dp has just finished a contract job today and there are no others in pipe line.
He will be signing on on Monday.I am returning to nursing[doing course]may get Healthcare assistant job till I get my registration back,but job won't be till prob Jan.
Does anyone know how this will affect benefits?
I am reading that we will not get Housing Benefit or help with council tax.
Anyone know?
Thanks.

GoldenGreen Fri 06-Nov-09 17:10:53

Anything over £16 will rule you out from housing or council tax benefit. The JSA I'm not sure on - will depend on what kind of JSA your husband is claiming I think.

HappyMummyOfOne Fri 06-Nov-09 17:10:58

Savings can affect all means tested benefits so it depends on how much you have in savings.

If your OH has been employed and paying NI he should get contributions based JSA and that doesnt take into account savings. However both HB and council tax benefit do.

GoldenGreen Fri 06-Nov-09 17:11:31

16K obviously - rubbish keyboard!

HappyMummyOfOne Fri 06-Nov-09 17:11:49

Forgot to add, from memory anything under £6k is ok and between 6k and 16k any benefit is reduced and over £16k no benefits available.

Doobydoo Fri 06-Nov-09 18:53:13

Thankyou.smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now