Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can insurance company do this?

(9 Posts)
TeenageWildlife Thu 05-Nov-09 15:57:49

My friend lives in a house which shares a wall with another. Those neighbours installed some plumbing which led to leaks and a large amount of damage done to my friend's property. She has it in writing from the neighbour that is is their fault, and this has been confirmed by two surveys. However, the friend's insurance company says that they do not have to pay out because my friend herself is responsible. They are now doubling her premium. Is this right and what can she do?

claricebeansmum Thu 05-Nov-09 16:05:49

This sounds wrong.

In theory your friends insurance company should pay out to make good the damage and then they go after the neighbours insurance company to be reimbursed.

If the insurance company stand by their original statement then I suggest she contact the ABI for some help.

CMOTdibbler Thu 05-Nov-09 16:10:19

If she posts about the exact details on the insurance section of Moneysavingexpert.com, she'll get some really good advice on what to do - theres several insurance professionals there who advise people

TeenageWildlife Thu 05-Nov-09 16:23:52

Thank you. What is ABI?

TeenageWildlife Thu 05-Nov-09 16:27:07

CMOT - please could you kindly link me there, I have looked all over the insurance section of money saving and cannot find the posting place.

TeenageWildlife Thu 05-Nov-09 16:28:12

Ah, silly me, got it.Thank you.

CMOTdibbler Thu 05-Nov-09 16:29:21

here

TeenageWildlife Thu 05-Nov-09 16:37:01

thank you - have some kisses

sb6699 Thu 05-Nov-09 18:11:21

Your friend would have to prove that her neighbour had been negligent but that doesnt seem to be the case.

You're always better to claim on your own insurance anyway. That way you can be paid out whilst the insurance companies argue between themselves as to who is responsible.

Hope this helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now