Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can they legally do this?

(11 Posts)
pucca Wed 04-Nov-09 14:51:50

Having a bit of a nightmare at moment paying bills sad

I am already on a electric meter, but was on a normal monthly bill for gas, i have ended up getting in a right mess with the bill and falling behind on payments and they have been this morning and fitted a meter.

My problem is, because i was not here, they have fitted the pre payment meter but left me a letter saying i have to ring for a appointment to finish off setting it up....so i have been left with no heating and no hot water sad

I rang straight away and have been told i will get a phone call after 3.30pm today but it won't be likely it will be today or even tomorrow...bit of a nightmare with having dd(5yo) and ds(3yo).

Can they legally do this?

pucca Wed 04-Nov-09 14:58:57

bump to see if anyone knows

littleducks Wed 04-Nov-09 15:00:56

Leave you without gas? i think yes (sorry) i had major problem with british gas when we moved here and there was a pre payment meter, we were without gas for days while they faffed and the woman on the phone said if it was electric they couldnt leave you with no supply but gas wasnt seen as so important

Do you have an immersion heater? i only found out much later that we did, in case of no gas you can still get hot water but be careful it is even more expensive to heat water this way but might help you short term

bump for someone who knows legislation

pucca Wed 04-Nov-09 15:05:46

Thanks Littleducks...looks like i will just have to wait then. I don't suppose it is essential, just means lots of layers for bed, and bath run via the kettle.

Reaching the end of my tether lately <sigh> one nightmare after another.

LadyMuck Wed 04-Nov-09 15:08:37

Have a look at Consumer Focus. It seems to indicate that if they leave you with a non-working prepayment meter for more than 4 hours then they have to pay you £20. There is an "ask a question" option if you want to post this there and get an answer.

pucca Wed 04-Nov-09 15:12:02

Thanks for the link Ladymuck, i really do appreciate the help. smile

LoveBeingAMummy Thu 05-Nov-09 12:16:17

Might even be worth calling back and stating how you would like the money so they know you know iyswim

morningpaper Thu 05-Nov-09 12:19:01

Yes we've been left without gas for days too

pucca Thu 05-Nov-09 18:11:02

Have got it sorted today, thank god! but i have no idea when the card/key will turn up as they post that to you. I mentioned what it says on consumer focus but he said thats under certain circumstances hmm

Nevermind as long as i can bath the kids i am happy smile

Thanks everyone.

NormaStanleyFletcher Thu 05-Nov-09 18:16:46

Call them and state the ages of your children. When I was in a house with a prepayment meter and our card broke they let me collect an emergency card from one of the local outlets that sold gas credit

pucca Thu 05-Nov-09 21:33:22

Good idea NSF thanks...if it hasn't come by tomorrow, i will def do that. I had a similar problem when i went on a electric meter, and they sent someone out to give me a key.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now