Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can anyone recomend a good current account - I have had it with hbos

(9 Posts)
mummytopebs Tue 03-Nov-09 09:46:51

Hi seem as both me and my husband will be getting charged £1 a day fo every day we are in our overdraft i am going to change banks.

Can anyone recomend a good current account?

Also does anyone know if i move our accounts away from halifax will it effect our mortgage as this is with the halifax

moodlum Tue 03-Nov-09 09:49:26

First Direct are <said in a craig revel horword styley> a m a z i n g.

DH converted to them a year ago and grudgingly I have to admit they are great so am changing to them too.

HTH

OneLonelySock Tue 03-Nov-09 12:01:49

Is that £1 a day for an unplanned overdraft? 'cos thats the cheapest charge I've ever seen!!
Or is that £1 a day for a planned o/d in which case I hope your balance is over £1500 o/d else that is a high charge.

LilyloovesGuyFawkes Tue 03-Nov-09 12:04:32

it's a £1 a day for planned

there was a big article on this in the paper at the weekend saying they will loose a lot of customers throught this.

However the decision on banks charges is dues this week from court and if they are found to be overcharging i think a lot will got this way tbh

throckenholt Tue 03-Nov-09 12:05:30

the coop is a good bank - their online banking is simple too.

wannaBe Tue 03-Nov-09 12:08:52

I am with first direct and they are excellent. And their call centres are in the UK which is IMO a definite bonus.

I think that if the bank charges outcome is against the banks then paying for banking will be the future.

mummytopebs Tue 03-Nov-09 20:13:46

Onelonelysock unfortunatly it is for planned overdrafts and applies even if you just go 1p over drawn!! Apparently it is because they have got rid of their £60 charge if you go over your overdraft, however i have never been over my overdraft so am being penalised!

Is first direct an internet bank?

cktwo Tue 03-Nov-09 20:17:24

I too have had it with HBOS and have just opened an account with the Co-op. Am going to write very snotty letter to HBOS telling them why I am switching after 15 years of custom.

I only use my overdraft for a few day each month and I usually pay interest of arounf £2-£3. With this new rule they are going to charge me £7-£10 a month. Balls to that. I'm orff!

eastendmummy Tue 03-Nov-09 20:21:17

I have to say First Direct too - they are brilliant, someone answers the phone the second you call, 365 days and everything is so easy. They even phone you if you have a payment scheduled that will send you over your overdraft limit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now