Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

furious and shaking

(8 Posts)
skinsl Fri 30-Oct-09 10:06:34

Just had huge row with stupid book company who have issued me with a doorstep collection notice for books they said I received 3 years ago. £130.The first I heard of this was in Sept and have been trying to get details since then. shaking and just want to cry. I DO NOT OWE THEM THIS MONEY, I DID NOT RECEIVE ANY BOOKS

AngryFromManchester Fri 30-Oct-09 10:07:13

oh god these book companies and things are a nightmare. Have you ever been ina book club?

skinsl Fri 30-Oct-09 10:11:28

oh yeah, it was my account, but books/dvds didnt arrive, post office sent them back. I have all the documentation, but they will not listen

AngryFromManchester Fri 30-Oct-09 10:15:57

have you spoken to CAB? they are really good at sorting these kinds of things out, especially if you have evidence

3littlefrogs Fri 30-Oct-09 10:26:12

Oh God - is this "World Books" by any chance?

These book companies are all part and parcel of one big company and IME they are a bunch of con-artists who extort money from vulnerable people by advertising special bargains, but putting a contract to buy 20 books a year at extortionate prices in the tiny print. Also in the tiny print is a clause that puts the entire responsibility for returning said books (which are delivered automatically) by first class parcel post, within an impossibly short time frame, onto the unwitting "customer".

Get in touch with trading standards now. They will already have had complaints about them.

racmac Fri 30-Oct-09 10:26:39

Dont bother speaking to them on the telephone.

If you have evidence then write a letter informing them of everything - send it recorded delivery to their legal dept.

At the end of the letter tell them that you will not enter into any further correspondence and if they insist on issuing Court procedings then you will bring this letter to the attention of the Judge when considering the issue of costs.

jodee Fri 30-Oct-09 10:31:51

AFAIK they do not have any rights to enter your property without an appointment, and of course you are not going to make an appointment with these people. Tell book company you are disputing their claim and to put it in writing, don't have any more conversations with them. Check out Office of Fair Trading and the Consumer Action Group website.

skinsl Fri 30-Oct-09 18:31:17

its BFC, books for children, or BCA
but yeah i think it is all the same company.
I have detailed everything in a letter, and they replied to it, but completely ignored my points.There is no way a judge will make me pay for something that the company can't tell me what it is. Will check out trading standards etc, thank you all.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: