Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Have a really bad credit rating, but have just got a relatively well paid job (eventually) - can't get a bank account due to bad rating. What if anything can I do?????

(23 Posts)
Jazzicatz Mon 26-Oct-09 16:29:53

Title says it all - any ideas?

Thanks

morningpaper Mon 26-Oct-09 16:30:58

Have you not had a bank account to date?

Jazzicatz Mon 26-Oct-09 16:32:09

Only a cash builder one, but need a current account!

said Mon 26-Oct-09 16:32:22

Surely you can have a very basic account?

louii Mon 26-Oct-09 16:32:33

Post office account?

RubysReturn Mon 26-Oct-09 16:32:49

I think post office type current account is willing to consider people with less fab credit ratings. No overdraft/guarantee cards type thing, but basic cash card

DailyMailNameChanger Mon 26-Oct-09 16:33:05

You can get a post office account, they are designed for people who cannot get a normal account, you can have wages etc paid into them but cannot arrange DDs on them and have to use cash rather than a card. Using things like that will help you gradually improve your rating.

alwayslookingforanswers Mon 26-Oct-09 16:33:34

why do you need a current account?

<<<<<still has her Halifax Cardcash account 17yrs after she opened it>>>>>>>

nippersnappers Mon 26-Oct-09 16:34:28

The NatWest do a simple Step account.

No credit check should be required and you can upgrade it in years to come when your back on track.

Shit bank but good account, solo card, you can set up direct debits and such and can't go overdrawn (usually)

Arsed Mon 26-Oct-09 16:34:48

co-op do a really good bank account whoch anyone can get. You get a debit card with itm it;s only ony one available for people with really bad credit.

Barclays do a cash card account too but they wont let you have a debit card.

Jazzicatz Mon 26-Oct-09 16:34:57

Because I need to set up DD and so forth.

I have a Barcleys basic account since going bankrupt. I have a card for withdrawing out of certain machines plus can do direct debits.
Can't go overdrawn/have an overdraft, cheque book or switch type card. But none of those matter to me. smile

eandh Mon 26-Oct-09 16:36:18

I work for Abbey (don't flame me its by defualt) and we have basic account that you should be able to get (no overdraft) but you do get hol ein wall card and can set up direct debits and standing orders

alwayslookingforanswers Mon 26-Oct-09 16:36:44

you should be able to do direct debits out of a basic account - at least DH has a basic account (crap credit rating so all they would give him) and has DD's coming out

I have a cardcash account with the Halifax have standing orders, direct debits and all sorts going out of it.

TheOldestCat Mon 26-Oct-09 16:37:56

Hope this helps - it compares the different basic accounts available, telling you which allow you to set up direct debits and so on.

shinyshoes Mon 26-Oct-09 16:43:15

Coop basic accounts you can set up standing orders, DD, use it to pay for shopping in all supermarkets.

Most online stores. Not Tesco.com though, they don't take Visa Electron online

I'm in the same situation and the card is brilliant

think it's called a cashminder account

Jazzicatz Mon 26-Oct-09 16:43:20

Thank you you are all so helpful (sorry have PMT and feeling quite weepy grin)

alwayslookingforanswers Mon 26-Oct-09 16:53:02

oh yea Tesco is the only pita - had no problem with Ocado or Asda online though, (or anywhere else for that matter, bought traintickets and all sorts on-line with my Visa Electron - just Tesco doesn't like it)

LissyGlitter Mon 26-Oct-09 17:04:46

I use think bank. It is really good, you basically have two bank accounts, one where your wages are paid in and it automatically keeps back what you need for your bills, and then it automatically transfers your "spends" on to an account with a card. You can use the card in shops or cash machines as well as online.

It does cost £12.50 a month, but there are no other charges, and as I was spending about £60 a month on banks charges from forgetting to leave enough in for bills, that is a massive saving for me.

Absolutely no credit checks or anything, but obviously no overdraft either.

RubysReturn Mon 26-Oct-09 17:13:48

ANd well done on job!

Tortington Mon 26-Oct-09 17:16:44

every bank ofers a 'basic' bank account. this is something the govt negotiated as benefits get paid into accounts not giro or books.

basic , no overdraft nothing fancy just you put money in - you have a card you can draw it out

Prinnie Mon 26-Oct-09 17:26:10

Try www.moneysavingexpert.com it's FULL of really good advice - their forums are also really good.

Jazzicatz Wed 28-Oct-09 16:45:24

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for your advice - I now have a bank account grin

Unfortunately still got PMT!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now