Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

ebay query PLEASE HELP!!!!!

(7 Posts)
inkdrops Mon 26-Oct-09 16:10:54

I am new to ebay and have just made my 1st purchase.

After receiving my money via paypal, the seller said they sent the item to the wrong address hmm, but would post it to me when they tried to get it back.

I have been asking questions about progress along the way, with replies a bit vague. After a week and a half of waiting, I started a dispute through paypal.

The seller now says he has recieved the item back but will not send it to me until I drop the dispute. I was happy to do this until I found that you can not open a dispute again once you have closed it? I am worried that if I drop the dispute and the seller still will not send the item, that I will have nowhere to go to get my money back?

What should I do?

TIA

alwayslookingforanswers Mon 26-Oct-09 16:12:20

tell him to send it and once it arrives you'll close the dispute.

tootiredtothink Mon 26-Oct-09 16:16:06

Don't drop the dispute whatever the seller says. You'll have no comeback whatsoever if you don't receive it - and it's seems unlikely that you will.

Sounds v dodgy to me hmm.

DailyMailNameChanger Mon 26-Oct-09 16:17:21

I would say you are within your rights to keep it open until they have the item to you.

Assuming you are happy to have either the money or the item I would just say

Thank you for contacting me to let me know you now have the item in your possesion. As you are aware I cannot open a new dispute once a current dispute has been closed, therefore I am not willing to close the current dispute until I have the item here. Please either forward the item (recorded for your protection) asap or agree to refund the monies involved in the dispute.

inkdrops Mon 26-Oct-09 16:49:00

Thanks for the replies. Trouble is, Dailynamecnamger, i WANT the item, so I am afraid that if I try to force the issue, the seller will just refund the money. I don't want to give them that option, unless I have no other alternative.

Does a seller HAVE to send an item, once they have received the money? Or can they change their minds once they have recieved payment and just refund the money? I think they are not allowed to do this, according to ebay rules?

I have no idea what to do about this. I have sent a query using the contact us page on ebay, but I do not know how long they take to reply

inkdrops Mon 26-Oct-09 17:04:48

bump

diddle Tue 27-Oct-09 23:03:08

the seller has to send the item or refund. Keep your dispute open. I am a seller on ebay and buyers have many more rights than sellers. It can make a big difference to a sellers account and repuation with ebay. Make sure you always send messages through ebay or your dispute as proof, don't email then seperately.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now