Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

done something really stupid - took some money from work

(77 Posts)
bleat34 Tue 14-Jun-05 15:24:40

i have been so stupid and i dont know what to do. I had some petty cash expenses to bank at work and I stole £30 of it. I cant even believe I am typing this but I did take it, i meant to pay it back but didnt. Now the treasureer has realised the money is missing. I feel sick. If I could pay the money back I would but she knows its gone now. She thinks its a probelem with the petty cash. I dont know what to do. I feel so awful and sick about it I cant believe I did it.

please please help.

Miaou Tue 14-Jun-05 15:32:12

You've got two choices bleat.

You can confess to taking it, apologise, and accept the consequences (which may of course mean you being sacked).

Or you could say to the treasurer, "I was going through my coat pockets/handbag and found the lining was torn, I found £30 had gone through the lining, I knew it wasn't my money and then realised I had been wearing that coat/using that bag when I went to the bank with the petty cash - looks like it could be the same money". She may or may not believe you.

I'm not condoning what you did - but that's what would go through my mind if I was in your situation. I don't think being all high and mighty about it would really help you atm!

jambo1707 Tue 14-Jun-05 15:46:04

oh bleat

This could get messy hun

Sorry dont really know what toadvise

mancmum Tue 14-Jun-05 15:50:05

can it be traced back to you? I think that you are in tough one here... if you confess, you will doubtless be sacked unless you can prove it was not a criminal act, but from what you say, you were aware you did it and did not correct it.. if you say nothing and they find out it was you, definitely sacked... if it can be traced would be better to be honest -- might give you a better chance of keeping job...

Lizzylou Tue 14-Jun-05 15:52:15

Miaou's idea about the lining might be a good one.......
It's all about damage limitation now and that may just help you keep your job.........

handlemecarefully Tue 14-Jun-05 15:52:39

Bleat

You've not posted before have you?

Kelly1978 Tue 14-Jun-05 15:53:08

Isn't their anyway to return the £30 to petty cash in a few days, so it sorts it self out - so they could put it down to a miscount or error, or simply accept that the money has been returned?

Kidstrack2 Tue 14-Jun-05 16:07:25

Was there a reason you took the money, are you hard up at the moment and used it for a desperate moment? Or was there another reason like a spur of the moment thing because you had it to bank?

Chandra Tue 14-Jun-05 16:39:03

OH no! what a difficult situation!

The lining idea is a good one. The problem is that if you confess (whatever the reason) they won't be able to trust you again with money. I think I would leave it alone, would pray for them to forget and insure the problem never repeats in the future. I would pay the money back in extra eagerness at work but start looking for another job just in case I may need it. I doubt they will make a big investigation for such amount, but if they know it was you, well, there's not much you can do to change their minds.

morningpaper Tue 14-Jun-05 17:07:26

Has the Treasurer spoken to you personally about the money going missing? Is there any way you can say "I borrowed this from Petty Cash a few days ago and here it is" or did this happen some time ago?

TBH we are always losing lots of money from Petty Cash and we don't expect to ever find the 'culprit', it's just one of those things. (However if we did they would be instantly sacked and no reference given.)

handlemecarefully Tue 14-Jun-05 19:07:08

was i too subtle?

Bleat has never posted on mumsnet before.....

HappyHuggy Tue 14-Jun-05 19:13:27

Maybe shes changed her name cause shes ashamed of herself?

SoupDragon Tue 14-Jun-05 19:14:15

So?

The thread is not causing any trouble. There's no need to suspect every not-posted-before name of being anything other than genuine.

charleepeters Tue 14-Jun-05 19:14:55

why do you lot always assume a new poster is a troll??? not having a go just wondering!

giraffeski Tue 14-Jun-05 19:15:37

Message withdrawn

tillykins Tue 14-Jun-05 19:15:52

maybe she is posting under a different name - quite understandable

Bleat, I work with money and if any of my team came and owned up, or if they came to me with an explanation that was potentially suss, I am confident the least consequence would be a written warning and most likely dismissal - certainly, they would not be trusted

I have however, had instances of amounts like this going missing and generally assumed someone forgot to complete a chit for it, and had it written off.

Therefore, whilst I definitely do not condone what you did, the pragmatic solution is say nothing. And please don't do it again!

giraffeski Tue 14-Jun-05 19:42:06

Message withdrawn

Chandra Wed 15-Jun-05 00:15:32

What if she has not posted before? do new comers need to build a reputation before being allowed to start a thread? Sometimes I think we overprotect Mumsnet.

backafronted Wed 15-Jun-05 00:26:22

If is possible to suddenly discover it under paperwork on your desk or stuck in something used to hold the cash. If you can say look I heard there was a problem so I double checked and realised I had misplaced/ miscounted. She might not trust you quite as much but you might manage to salvage the job.

I had a horrible situation at work where I returned and item of clothing issued as uniform as faulty for cash, it all came back to me and I had to get an other item to prove it was not my issued item I had returned . We all to crazy things, I also shoplifted a maternity bra I was trying on a few and just kept one on, I was a bit strange feeling at the time. God I sound really babd now.

nightowl Wed 15-Jun-05 00:44:44

how long have you worked there bleat? are you someone they trust? if so, i would do the pocket lining thing and hand it back.

if not, say nothing.

what you did was wrong, but you already know that. i think you need to examine why you did it in the first place. you obviously feel terrible about this and im assuming that there was something going on that made you desperate for this money?

whatever you decide, dont do it again!!

jambo1707 Wed 15-Jun-05 07:57:42

Bleat

Thinking of you hun, this is very sticky and sorry not really able to advise.

I was a Manager of a food chain and a member of my staff "stole" unfortunatly she was sacked.

If I were to advise anything look in your contract under gross misconduct there should be info in this area for you that may help you come to your decision.

I'm sure you will do whats best good luck and keep us posted

handlemecarefully Wed 15-Jun-05 08:47:00

Chandra

[angry} right back at you!

handlemecarefully Wed 15-Jun-05 08:47:17

or even

(lol)

Enid Wed 15-Jun-05 08:49:04

poor you you sound distraught.

why on earth did you do it? Do you think it will come back to you? If I were you I would probably brazen it out and not mention it again. Let us know.

handlemecarefully Wed 15-Jun-05 09:00:04

Firstly, most peoples' first posts, whilst they are dipping their toes into mumsnet waters for their first time, tend to be on 'safer' more prosaic matters.

Secondly, posters generally show some self awareness and a regular poster who has changed their name would usually start with "I've changed my name for this". Whereas a first time poster might say "I know I've not posted before but I am genuine" or words to that effect

Finally I would assume that a genuine person would come back to their thread same day (given that the issue is really troubling them - so you would expect that they would be keen to see replies).

But whatever..it's up to you. I'm very happy to eat my words if Bleat34 subsequently becomes a regular poster - and will bend over backwards in being friendly to her to compensate for initial suspiscions.

OK?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: