Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can I shop tonight?

(14 Posts)
eltham Wed 21-Oct-09 18:07:24

Getting paid tomorrow so I'm sure money will be there tomorrow. If I go shopping tonight does the money I spend in supermarket come out of my account instantly (in which case I'll end up overdrawn and stung with charges) or will it just hit it tomorrow whereupon it'll be ok as my pay will be there?

PoisonToadstool Wed 21-Oct-09 18:08:29

I think in the supermarket it's instant - can you do some online shopping to arrive in the morning?

bigchris Wed 21-Oct-09 18:08:58

it should come out tomorrow

bigchris Wed 21-Oct-09 18:09:35

ooh two conflicting answers!

LaurieScaryCake Wed 21-Oct-09 18:12:36

Mine for Ocado and Sainsburys have never come out the same day - with Ocado it was five days last time

eltham Wed 21-Oct-09 18:12:37

I'll be using a debit card...so it goes out instantly even though the banks are closed?

LaurieScaryCake Wed 21-Oct-09 18:13:21

sorry I meant online shopping blush

can you not write a cheque with your guarantee card???

stakethroughtheheartofgold Wed 21-Oct-09 18:16:47

i wouldn't. whenever i've had a payment out and a payment in on the same day they take the payment out before the payment in and make me overdrawn even when i shouldn't be.

stakethroughtheheartofgold Wed 21-Oct-09 18:17:50

do you have to have it delivered tomorrow? if you can last till friday they don't usually take it out until the day of delivery.

eltham Wed 21-Oct-09 18:18:18

it'd be in Tescos - or Waitrose

eltham Wed 21-Oct-09 18:52:57

do tey still take cheques at tescos?

smackapacka Wed 21-Oct-09 18:55:58

I use my card on a Sunday when I know there's no money in there until Monday...

SarahLondon1 Fri 23-Oct-09 15:51:50

Most supermarkets don't do realtime authorisation for credit and debit card purchases unless you are spending over £50.

This is because the time involved of getting even online authorisation is up to 1 minute at peak times and that would just slow down the queue and keep other customers waiting.

Even if you don't have the money in your account then you should be able to spend less than £50 with your credit or debit card at most major supermarkets.

eyetunes Fri 23-Oct-09 16:03:11

I would do an online food shop tonight for delivery first thing tommo. That way you will def have the money in the bank and also your food shop asap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now