Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

AIBU to want more £5 notes in circulation

(9 Posts)
Spacehoppa Sat 17-Oct-09 21:39:06

I suppose it is easy for banks to fill their money chuckers up with tens and twenties. Mostly though I use cash to pay for lots of small things. It is usually small retailers who have to bear the brunt of all my buying 65p items with a £20 note. If I do this they will lose their tens, esp their (rare)fives and a lot of pound coins...and will have to go to the bank for change. AIBU crazy to hope for the odd £5 out of the moneychucker things in the first place?

whomovedmychocolate Sun 18-Oct-09 10:21:54

I use a lot of fivers and like them - but then I ask for them at the bank when I withdraw cash (yes it's a PITA to queue up but it's two minutes of my life and makes things easier).

MaggieBehaveOutGuising Sun 18-Oct-09 10:25:09

I know!, annoying and you spend more if it's in your wallet.

a ten euro note is going that way in Ireland!,

MaggieBehaveOutGuising Sun 18-Oct-09 10:26:01

Whomovedmychoc, do they say to you 'there's a cashpoint outside love'... in a 'tone'??

TspookyChasm Sun 18-Oct-09 10:27:01

Yes! YES! Agree - not enough £5 notes in circulation. Very annoying.

whomovedmychocolate Sun 18-Oct-09 10:28:28

Maggie - they wouldn't bloody dare. Actually they just assume you work in a shop if you withdraw a bunch of fivers.

NorbertDentressangle Sun 18-Oct-09 10:32:31

There does seem to be a shortage -quite a few times recently I've paid with a £10 for something around £1-2 and they've had to give me the change in £coins.

I'm surprised they haven't introduced a £5 coin (or have they already? confused now, but I think I'm getting muddled up with a limited edition one maybe??)

ABetaDad Sun 18-Oct-09 10:34:19

YANBU. Those £2 coins are no good as a substitute. The £5 notes I have had recently are really dog eared. Makes me think they are being slowly withdrawn.

When the banks were tottering over las year we went and withdew £500 in £5 notes and £100 in £1 coins just in case cash machines stopped working.

We figured shops would run out of change really quick.

Squishabelle Sun 18-Oct-09 10:44:36

Cash Machines only hold £10 and £20 notes as far as I know. Either go into the branch or use your Post Office to withdraw cash - no shortage of £5 notes there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now