Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Foodbanks

(5 Posts)
tatt Sat 17-Oct-09 09:12:35

I recently heard about foodbanks being established in the UK. They provide 3 days food to people who are in crisis. Thought they deserved some publicity. There are banks at Andover, Colchester, Exeter, Pontllandfraith, Salisbury, Taylorstown, Warrington, Wrexham and others. Oher schemes are being established all the time.

http://www.trusselltrust.org/content/foodbank/foodbank.htm

Drooper Sat 17-Oct-09 20:06:14

We have a similar thing in Yeovil. It's called the Lord's Larder and is run by the community churches in Yeovil.

It's a really good service. Good to hear it's in other areas.

FishInMyHair Sun 18-Oct-09 15:14:00

There are Basics Banks in Southampton and Winchester. They are fab.
Did a bit of volunteering there and it was so nice to hand over bags of food to people struggling.
They do however rely on donations. Harvest festival time keeps the stocks up but they need supplies all year round.

tatt Tue 20-Oct-09 08:55:19

Was sort of hoping that posting the message might prompt a few people to investigate and donate. But also thinking if mumsnetters are in trouble it would be somewhere to refer them for help.

TwentiethCenturyHeffa Tue 20-Oct-09 09:02:16

We have one in my town, it's great. I take along stuff every month or so when I go through the cupboards (nothing out of date, just things that DH we bought but aren't going to eat) and routinely take along stuff I've got on BOGOF. Or I'll donate one tin in a pack of 4 when I do the shopping, that kind of thing. It's a fab service.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now