Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Has anyone challenged the expiry of a gift card and won?

(6 Posts)
maggiethecat Fri 16-Oct-09 21:31:23

I have an Office card which was issued over 2 years ago. Terms on back of card said card would expire 24 months after last use. I understood that to mean that any balance remaining would be lost 24 mths after the card was last used to pay for a transaction.

I did not interpret it to mean 24 mths after issue whether the card was used or not. May seem like nit picking but that's what I thought.

Has anyone challenged an expiry and won?

bigTillyMint Sat 17-Oct-09 15:40:32

No, but I used a theatre tickets voucher successfully 10 years after it was issued!!!! (it was a forgotten wedding present!)

Mousey84 Mon 19-Oct-09 21:49:03

24 months after last use means just what you thought originally. For HMV cards, to use the card, all you had to do was check the balance.

Who said you couldnt use it?

PacificWerewolfwoohood Mon 19-Oct-09 21:52:14

Yes, repeatedly (not for same gift card, obviously wink). I hate shopping with a vengeance and regularly find forgotten gift cards at back of drawer/under sofa/in sock drawer.
Defo worth a phone call/e-mail/letter.

Floopy21 Tue 20-Oct-09 10:06:53

I know HMV re-issues an expired gift card with a new one if you send it away to head office, might be wirth giving Office a call?

maggiethecat Tue 20-Oct-09 11:21:23

No. I've never ever checked the balance. It was a case of putting it away with intention to use and then forgot it about it until recently (amazing how hard times jog the memory!)

Think I will do a letter. Thirty five pounds is a lot of money.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now