Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

please help - need some advice urgently

(11 Posts)
cleaningsucks Wed 14-Oct-09 17:52:46

thank you...

so - i have fallen behind on my mortgage and totally buried my head in the sand about it. I then phoned the mortgage company to pay it (was owed a serious amount of money from a job which covers most of the arrears) and they said i cant organise anything til I speak to a debt counsellor. said counsellor is coming round in an hour to talk about my income.

trouble is, my income is significantly lower than when i took the mortgage. i fell behind because a my dd's dad owed me loads of money, but as a general rule i can still afford to pay this mortgage. so - if i tell her how much i earn (not enough to get this mortgage if i were to apply now) can she take it away from me? and, moreover, do they have any right to know this information now - i get the impression they want to know all income and outgoings - do i have to tell them. because the truth is my head is only just above water, but i am just about coping and i really really cant lose my house.

help - i'd be so grateful for some quick advice.

thank you

cleaningsucks Wed 14-Oct-09 18:00:54

bump. please. i'm desperate. dont know who else to ask.

missingtheaction Wed 14-Oct-09 18:06:01

i have no relevant experience so these are just random thoughts

from their point of view, taking away your mortgate would be a hideous expensive nightmare and they will try to to everything they can to avoid that if at all possible

tell them the truth. tell them what you can afford to pay and do a deal with them. stick to what you say you can do.

eyetunes Wed 14-Oct-09 18:06:02

Do you have the full amount of money to pay the arrears? If so, then just apologise, explain that you were waiting on a large cheque from a job and now it is sorted you will be ok again. Then tell them you are going out.

womblemeister Wed 14-Oct-09 18:06:57

I'm no financial adviser, but why don't you just tell her what you have posted here? Everyone's circumstances change. Explain the situation calmly and show you are determined to remedy the situation.

Best of luck.

missingtheaction Wed 14-Oct-09 18:07:06

is the counsellor independent or are they something to do with the mortgage company? you could ask for time to get independent advice. you should certainly ask for time to think about any proposals put to you

jasper Wed 14-Oct-09 18:07:54

IS it any of their business to know what you earn now?

eyetunes Wed 14-Oct-09 18:10:22

good point missingtheaction. Don't be talked into a deal tonight. At all.

cleaningsucks Wed 14-Oct-09 18:29:23

Thank you very much - i appreciate the input. i think i have decided to:

1. find out if she is independent/ mortgage company employee.
2. establish how much info they have a right to know
3. explain if i have to that money is tight, that i can pay half the arears tomorrow, and split the rest over 3 months.
4. i dont want to go in to the rest of my finances.

if anyone else has anything else to add, i'd be glad to hear it.

i really appreciate the posts. my hands are shaking. i seem to feel constantly terrified at the moment.

eyetunes Wed 14-Oct-09 18:30:38

Did they insist on visiting you. Do you have someone with you whilst they visit. Maybe worth getting a mate round, just so it makes you feel more in control.

cleaningsucks Wed 14-Oct-09 18:34:48

yes - they said i cant arrange to ay it back unless someone comes round.

no-one here sadly - just me and dd sadly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now