Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Too much taken as payment off my credit card.

(5 Posts)
couture1 Wed 14-Oct-09 15:32:11

I made a large purchase whilst on holiday in September and when the credit card bill came in this week the amount taken is an extra £160.00. Ive checked the receipt and they have taken more than the agreed price. I used the chip and pin machine and dont understand how this has happened, is there anyway I can get my money back?

Earlybird Wed 14-Oct-09 15:35:38

Could the difference be due to foreign exchange rates?

couture1 Wed 14-Oct-09 15:43:58

I dont think so becuase they said the price in english pounds.

bellavita Wed 14-Oct-09 15:46:11

So you are saying the receipt is correct, but the actual credit card bill is for £160 more?

If that is so, then you need to get on to the credit card company who should reimburse you and then they will take the matter up with whoever you got the goods off.

flowerybeanbag Wed 14-Oct-09 15:52:29

Yes get on to credit card company.

DH bought something expensive a few years ago and it turns out the company charged him an old price, or the price for a cheaper but similar item he had also been considering. He was told it was that price and signed for that price on the authorisation slip.

When checking his credit card statement, the company in question had charged a second amount to his card without any authorisation to bring it up to the proper amount. They'd obviously noticed after the event that they'd quoted and charged him the incorrect price and taken it upon themselves to put the extra through to balance their till.

DH took it up with the credit card company and as the retailer were not able to provide any evidence of his authorisation to charge the second amount, they refunded it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now