Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can someone please help me find a new savings account.

(11 Posts)
kateecass Wed 14-Oct-09 12:29:10

Am in lucky position of having received 2 large cheques recently because of inheritance. At the moment some of it is in Cahoot Savings and the rest I have just paid into my NatWest current account today.

We are hoping to buy a new car soon so need to be able to get at it easily.

The interest rate in Cahoot is terrible 0.5% I think. Where can I move it? I keep looking at the best buy tables but end up confused?

Any recommendation please??

thedolly Wed 14-Oct-09 12:39:54

www.ingdirect.com

janinlondon Wed 14-Oct-09 13:45:15

Try the AA

Mousey84 Wed 14-Oct-09 18:55:07

How soon do you need it and is it over £1k?

Mousey84 Wed 14-Oct-09 18:58:49

Oh, the one I was thinking of has gone.

This is now top atm. If you need it in less than a year, dont fix as there will likely be penalties for early withdrawal.

kateecass Wed 14-Oct-09 21:15:40

It is >30k. Will need some of it in couple of months for car. Maybe I should put it in 2 different accounts. One for money for the car and one which won't be touched for the year.

Will check out those recommendations thanks.

mumofsatan Thu 15-Oct-09 07:27:17

bumping and watching with interest as I'm in a similar situation.
Have received some money already which is in the Halifax but after recent shocking threads about Halifax want to move it asap, particularly as will be receiving another lump sum in the future.

I'm thinking I'd be as well buying premium bonds. No interest but at least a chance of wining and the interest on most accounts now is pretty rubbish

janinlondon Thu 15-Oct-09 10:46:44

I really don't think you'll get better than 5.15 with the AA........?

kateecass Thu 15-Oct-09 14:42:13

Ok, AA is looking good. BUT at top it says 5.15% AER then underneath it says 4.35% AER. This is why I get so confused.

And if I want to take money out of AA the only penalty is 90 days interest on the amount.

Thinking I'll put some in AA and rest in Citibank so I can take that money out for the car.

janinlondon Fri 16-Oct-09 11:25:48

Kateecass - sorry the 5.15% rate has now expired. They were overwhelmed (blame Martin LewiS!!!!).

kateecass Fri 16-Oct-09 15:42:00

Never mind..I was too slow. I will put it all in Citibank for now and then key my eye out for a good offer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now