Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Which banks are involved in this new 'Faster payment/transfer'; thingie?

(8 Posts)
Katymac Sat 10-Oct-09 08:53:32

Because I like it

It is nice - I get paid much faster

When was it introduced?

Which banks don't take part & will cheques be going in faster too?

Lonicera Sat 10-Oct-09 08:58:02

See here www.ukpayments.org.uk/sort_code_checker/

Katymac Sat 10-Oct-09 09:11:58

It seems to make bankers drafts etc a thing of the past combined with easy internet access it should reduce fraud I think (when buying/selling things like cars)

Unfortunately it mean HMRC get my money sooner sad

alwayslookingforanswers Sat 10-Oct-09 12:19:01

I know Halifax are.

KnickersandVests Sat 10-Oct-09 12:23:52

DP banks with Natwest and I'm with Barclays and his money to me is instant.

MrAnchovy Sat 10-Oct-09 12:49:36

Katy I think there is a transaction limit which may make this impractical for buying cars. Car dealers already take debit cards anyway, although there is usually an additional security check with the bank before the transaction is verified.

It has always been possible to make same-day transfers of any size via CHAPS. There is a charge for this (on a personal account this could be £25), but it is a good alternative to a bank draft.

I think you will find that the Bank of England does not participate in the Faster Payments system (for some good technical reason which I forget), so payments to HMRC still take 3 days.

MrAnchovy Sat 10-Oct-09 12:57:07

Oh, of course HMRC changed its banking supplier from the BoE to Citi this year, and guess what - you still can't make faster payments hmm

smackapacka Tue 13-Oct-09 20:28:02

Halifax do, but my other account with Alliance and Leicester don't. I transfer money from A&L every Wed and it arrives in Halifax on Monday. If it was the other way round it gets there within 2 hours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now