Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

car insurance

(7 Posts)
thesunshinesbrightly Thu 08-Oct-09 23:40:44

hi everyone,

just wondering if anyone can help, i am learning to drive and wanted some quotes on a ford car, so i got one and the quote was over £1500 and to me it seems like alot!

so could anyone tell me what cars they have? and how much insurance do they pay??

is mine a reasonable quote do you think?

BettyTurnip Fri 09-Oct-09 00:03:54

Try a price comparison website. Sheila's Wheels was cheapest for us and a few other people I know.

£1500 does seem like a lot but it's a long time since I was a learner.

Good luck.

fortyplus Fri 09-Oct-09 00:09:02

Seems a fortune to me but there again I'm an old fogey with a long claim-free history. I pay less tahn £300 for a Honda Jazz less than 2 years old.

At the start of this year I had an accident that wasn't my fault and my insurance co was totally brilliant so I will probably never change - it's Direct Line.

My mum , on the other hand, has had a less satisfactory service from Churchill. Not bad -- but not as good as my experience.

fortyplus Fri 09-Oct-09 00:10:04

When I asked about adding a 17 year old named driver they wanted £1800!

sb6699 Fri 09-Oct-09 00:17:42

Sorry its probably about right. As a learner driver 10 years ago I paid £1,000 for an old banged up Nova so taking inflation into account.....

You cant really "compare" your quote with someone elses as there are so many factors taken into account; age, address, make & model of car, cars age and worth, even occupation.

Can only suggest you use a comparison website such as "moneysupermarket" or "comparethemarket".

sb6699 Fri 09-Oct-09 00:21:25

Should also point out that policy is different. You need to read the small print to see if they include Legal Cover, Windscreen Damage, Claims Bonus Protection and decide which extras are important to you.

Dont want to seem forward but as a learner its probably a good idea to make sure "legal" is included as you're much more likely to have a "bump" in the first few years of driving and believe me legal bills can really add up.

thesunshinesbrightly Fri 09-Oct-09 09:02:47

i got my quote from diamond and the man at the advice centre was very rude, so i won't be going with them anyway, i live in a good area and i'm not a young learner, the car was an old one so i thought the insurance was going to cheaper - i was wrong.

thankyou for your replys

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now