Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can you own your own home and sign on?

(8 Posts)
airborne Wed 07-Oct-09 22:35:12

Is it possible to own your own house outright and sign on? The person that needs to know would be a full time student who will be made homeless (the students parent has died and the house is due to be sold). He looks likely to inherit enough money to buy a small property outright, but he would not have enough money left to support himself through education, or basic living costs. He is still in full time education (and intends to continue with this) so has never had a job - I understand there is contribution based JSA, which he wouldnt qualify for, but is there any other benefit like income support (if it still exists?) to support him?
Any advise on support through education appreciated.
thanks

Ivykaty44 Wed 07-Oct-09 22:41:35

Where would this person be a full time student?

He cant get JSA as a student he will not be job seeking. I doubt as a student he/she can claim anytype of benift for unemployment as tec they are not.

He can get help from uni - loans and money that is not payed back - he would need to see someone either at uni or college to see what he may be intitled to from them.

As for owning your own home - I dont think that matters, at least then he/she will not be homeless

airborne Thu 08-Oct-09 07:43:33

Currently in London, he is undecided on which uni to pick but likely to be London.

I was curious as to whether they would expect you to sell your home to support yourself if you wanted to go into education. Also if students nowadays are entitled to any extra funding if they are not reliant on parents as there are the extra yearly costs of owning your own home (ie insurance/rates/ground rent)
I will have to have a better look into this, it might have all changed since I was a student as grants were awarded on your parents income etc.

Ivykaty44 Thu 08-Oct-09 07:56:18

If he is going to uni then he can claim grants and stuff as his parents income is not there - he should then also get other money from uni pots - but need to ask at the uni about this.

Is he still at school now?

SixtyFootDoll Thu 08-Oct-09 08:11:07

I would think he is better off usinh his money to pay his way through college nad renting rather than buying a house outright?

LowLevelWhingeing Thu 08-Oct-09 08:13:22

I really don't think he would qualify for any kind of benefits if he is a full time student (I'm a full time student).

Some courses come with a small bursary (e.g.teaching, social work) or there are various uni hardship funds etc depending on the uni.

There are student loans from the Student Loan company (maybe a couple of grand a year) paid back once you are earning enough.

There are career development loans from banks.

The reality is that most students have to work to support themselves if they have no one to provide for them. He also has to bear in mind the uni fees which are crippling - my course is costing £3500 a year.

If he's going to inherit enough money to buy a house, would it be an option to use some of that money to support himself through uni instead, seeing it as an investment in his future?

HTH

MaryBS Thu 08-Oct-09 08:14:58

If he can afford to buy a place where he can rent out one of his rooms to another student, that would provide him with some tax free income AND a home.

Ivykaty44 Thu 08-Oct-09 12:24:25

the tax free income is up to £80 per week - over that amount and you start paying tax - but a great idea if you are a uni student to let out a room and have some company.

TBF I am on a low income and if my dd goes to uni - then she will haverather a lot of grants and hardship funds - more than enough to live on.

The loans cover the fees for uni and you start paying thoses back when your earnings hit £15k and are very low interest, and a loan he would qualify for.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now