Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

paying in money

(11 Posts)
lilaclotus Thu 09-Jun-05 12:08:03

i accidently went overdrawn today and i'm eager to avoid being charged for doing so. and i was wondering how long it takes for money to get into my account if i go pay it in at the bank in cash... i'm with lloyds tsb. does it take a few days or would it be instant?

Aero Thu 09-Jun-05 12:08:43

Should be instant if you pay over the counter by cash.

elsmommy Thu 09-Jun-05 12:09:04

instant - they have real time banking

expatinscotland Thu 09-Jun-05 12:09:38

halifax takes forever. be thankful you're not with them. they're full of it. hung onto a wire transfer into my account for FIVE working days and cheques take the same amount of time to clear.

needless to say, am switching banks.

lilaclotus Thu 09-Jun-05 12:09:42

ok that's a relief then, thanks!

munz Thu 09-Jun-05 12:10:34

lloyds is instant. in fact a lloyds personal cheque to a personal lloyds account is also instant.

misdee Thu 09-Jun-05 12:11:47

its instant. had to do this yesterday. i want 1.33 ove rthe 9.99 buffer, phoned and they said i i made a deposit in cash that day then i wouldnt get charged.

nutcracker Thu 09-Jun-05 12:36:07

Instant with Barclays too.

Am thinking of changing banks though cos they have just reduced their overdraft buffer from £25 to £5 and upped their charges on other thingsa.

lilaclotus Thu 09-Jun-05 13:57:40

thanks all!
the money went straight in {phew} saved myself about £25 in charges, i think

SaintGeorge Thu 09-Jun-05 14:04:56

As an ex-bank employee (dealing with overdrawn customers) can I suggest that you ring the bank anyway and tell them you have paid in. Although it is unlikely, technically you were overdrawn at start of business and could still be charged for that.

We always took a sympathetic view of customers who were proactive and let us know that they were on top of what was happening with their accounts.

munz Fri 10-Jun-05 09:02:49

lloyds have a £10 buffer anyways don't they? we don't have an o/d but do have our £10.00

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now