Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Expired debit card advice please

(10 Posts)
Flower3545 Fri 02-Oct-09 07:48:10

A couple of weeks ago Dh was transferred to Suffolk, from the North East by his company.

He took enough cash to see him through the first couple of weeks but he now needs more money. He forgot to take his debit card with him so I had to post it to him by special/recorded delivery.

I tried to use my debit card (joint account) yesterday which was refused as it turns out it had expired the previous day. Obviously as mine is no good his won't be either and I now have to send his new card, which he'd also forgotten to take, down to him.

The earliest he will get the card is tomorrow but I wondered if he went into the branch with the old card and the details of the new card if they'll give him cash to tide him over.

Anyone?

HecatesTwopenceworth Fri 02-Oct-09 07:49:54

Doubt it but why don't you phone them and ask? Worst they can say is no, but they might say yes, if he goes in with a gazillion forms of ID!

Flower3545 Fri 02-Oct-09 08:00:37

I'm going to have to Hecates because he's wimping out at the thought of them realising what a numpty he's been.

Luckily he has plenty of ID with him as he needed it to sort tax stuff out for his lodgings when he got to the new job.

Mind you I had to post that down to him because he forgot that as well.

<sigh>

thesouthsbelle Fri 02-Oct-09 08:03:41

yes they should do - I've before been able to go into a bank with my drivers licence telling them some rough details of my account saying the card was lost and get money over hte counter.

not sure thou if the regs have changed as this was a few years back.

HecatesTwopenceworth Fri 02-Oct-09 10:29:00

sounds like he'd forget his head if it wasn't screwed on! grin

charlotteolivia Fri 02-Oct-09 10:31:52

i went into the bank the other day with my drivers licence, said my debit card was in my other bag, and i was able to get cash

tiredemma Fri 02-Oct-09 10:52:17

I have withdrawn cash lots of times from bank using alternative ID (passport, Driving license etc)

lal123 Fri 02-Oct-09 11:01:09

branch should be able to give him cash. Surprised the bank didn't send new cards before the old one expired?

Bit of a nuisance both your cards expiringat same time - because I've lost a couple of cards in the past, mine has a different expiry date to DPs - so at least one of us always has an in date card

Flower3545 Fri 02-Oct-09 11:01:18

Thanks everyone.

I've spoken to the bank and they are not happy dealing with me and would rather discuss it with him, it's a joint account fgs.

He doesn't drive but he does have a passport, sadly it's sitting upstairs beside our bedhmm

I texted him to ask why he hadn't taken it with him, he replied "they let you into Suffolk without one"

<sigh>

Flower3545 Fri 02-Oct-09 17:18:10

Quick update, Dh went into the branch and after explaining his predicament they were fine to let him have some cash. Phewsmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now