Advanced search

Returning goods more than a year later

(5 Posts)
BikeRunSki Thu 01-Oct-09 22:19:31

We bought a steam generator iron thingy from Argos in June 08 - 15 months ago. It is now leaking like a trooper and has got to the point that we can only do any ironing with a load of towels down on the floor.

We still have the receipt - is there any point is trying to return it to Argos and asking for a new one/refund. It cost £90, which I always thought was a lot of cash for an iron (apart from the leaking, it makes ironing a dream though!).

The Argos receipt says that "all our products are guaranteeded for at leats a year" - how do I know which arfe longer? I have a niggling feeling in the back of my head that European Law says I have a two year warranty?

nancy75 Thu 01-Oct-09 22:43:32

not sure about european law, but goods have to last a reasonable time. its reasonable to expect a £90 iron to last longer than you have had it, so take it back. they might only offer you an exchange so if you would be happy with that have a look before you go at what one you want instead.

SqueezyCheese Thu 01-Oct-09 22:43:35

This might help you


DippyFarquhar Thu 01-Oct-09 22:47:58

After this length of time you're legally entitled to a repair/partial refund under the Sale of Goods Act. Nothing to stop you asking for a new replacement or money back and see what they offer you though. Always best to aim high! Your contract is with Argos btw, because you bought the goods from them. Don't be fobbed off if they say contact the manufacturer.

If you're not satisfied with their response in-store then put it in writing, tell them what the fault is and what you want from them. I would hope that you'd be able to come to an agreement in store though rather than faffing about with letters and waiting for replies.

See here for more info

leenasmom Wed 14-Oct-09 11:50:01

Hi sorry to hijack. but similar problem here.bought a metal highsleeper 18mths ago and the welded ladder has broken away...contacted argoos aswell. was told to get an independent joiner to confirm that it is a fault and not a break from damage...I have to pay for this report and find the person myself have no idea where to start and cannot really afford to pay for that or but a new bed so soon...any help please?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: