Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Need to switch banks - any recommendations?

(20 Posts)
SleepingLion Thu 01-Oct-09 20:06:30

Have just spent a very stressful evening trying to sort out an almighty screw-up by our bank (without outing the one we're with, let's just say their response has been shabby ).

I just don't trust them to handle our finances with any competence any more and don't want to be constantly on tenterhooks waiting for the next shock in the post (today's little surprise was that a cheque written for x hundred pounds to pay our credit card bill was bounced by the bank because someone had transcribed the amount as x thousand pounds shock)

Can anyone particularly recommend their bank?

wonderingwondering Thu 01-Oct-09 20:11:11

We just left Natwest for First Direct and it went very smoothly, they did all the D/D transfers. They are pretty good whenever I've phoned up, quite informed and professional.

Natwest were rubbish, I got my card refused on several occasions and the excuse was that the call centre for authorisation was busy. And whenever I went in to my local branch they would comment on my balance and if I drew money out would say things like 'oooh, are you going shopping?'. And I don't like Barclays either, I found their admin is appalling.

mackerel Thu 01-Oct-09 20:12:45

first direct

redpanda Thu 01-Oct-09 20:14:03

Another vote for first direct - been with them for donkeys years and always happy to recommend

ThingOne Thu 01-Oct-09 20:15:04

First direct here too. Been with them for 17 years.

duckyfuzz Thu 01-Oct-09 20:19:59

yes, first direct here too

Lubyloo Thu 01-Oct-09 20:23:19

I'm with Smile and have always been very pleased with them.

rubyslippers Thu 01-Oct-09 20:24:21

first direct

weegiemum Thu 01-Oct-09 20:25:02

SMile/Co-operative Bank.

Fab!

(and ethical)

SleepingLion Thu 01-Oct-09 20:25:11

Wow - lots of votes for First Direct! Just having a browse of their website - thank you for recommendations!

SparkleandShine Thu 01-Oct-09 20:25:36

first direct

first direct

oh and if you're unsure FIRST DIRECT grin

SparkleandShine Thu 01-Oct-09 20:27:15

there's £100 switching bonus at the moment too...

Celery Thu 01-Oct-09 20:28:33

Smile!

blythedance Thu 01-Oct-09 20:31:00

Barclays have been excellent in our experience for business and personal banking (I think they take you more seriously if you have a business account). Looks like you have a recommendation though!

Run a mile from Lloyds TSB and Natwest if they're not already the ones you're running from.

CricketsMum Thu 01-Oct-09 20:33:44

First Direct but watch out for their new fees around 'arranging' overdrafts... I just got stung and had to have a battle with them. Generally love them though.

RubyBlueberry Thu 01-Oct-09 20:35:21

Barclays are horrendous and HSBC equally so and their call centre a nightmare so no help, but isn't FD part of HSBC?

QuintessentialShadow Thu 01-Oct-09 20:35:25

HSBc and Barclays. Have already ran away from natwest....

dinkystinky Thu 01-Oct-09 20:36:48

first direct - hated HSBC but FD (even though part of HSBC) have been brilliant!

wonderingwondering Thu 01-Oct-09 20:37:44

FD are part of HSBC - I used the HSBC over-the-counter service and it was out of the ark, filling in the old paying in slips! But a small price to pay, it seems, for the overall marvelousness of FD.

everton Mon 05-Oct-09 11:08:14

FD are fantastic

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now