Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax credits - a question

(7 Posts)
muffintop Tue 29-Sep-09 14:02:31

I received a letter from the inland revenue to check my tax credits. I rang them and checked my details which were fine - the lady I spoke to said I had been claiming too many weeks and that you were only allowed to claim 39 weeks child care and consequently now owe them money. I cannot find any info on this and am terried they are going to stop my money. I work 3 days a week and this money covers my bills, mortgage, etc. The money from the tax credits is what we live on. Has this happened to anyone else as since I spoke to this lady they have taken £30 off my tax credit for last week and have not been notified.

I am now really worried that I am not going to be able to manage on what they decide to pay me.

Loosingmymind Tue 29-Sep-09 17:41:36

Hi, can't really help you but didn't want to ignore you. I get help towards childcare and have been for 14 months, have never heard anything about only being able to claim 39 weeks before.

The only thing I can advise is that you phone them again, I have found that you get told something different everytime you phone..

Sorry can't help more

HappyMummyOfOne Tue 29-Sep-09 19:12:03

Are you off sick or maternity leave?

said Tue 29-Sep-09 19:14:59

If you only work 5 days per week is the 39 weeks just a (rough) apportionment of that? ie 3/5 x 52

lou031205 Tue 29-Sep-09 22:15:22

Do you work term-time only? You can only claim child care costs for weeks you work. So even if you need to pay for child care 52 weeks per year to keep your place open, you can only claim for costs for the 39 term-time weeks.

muffintop Wed 30-Sep-09 12:28:11

Hi

sorry not to answer your questions earlier - I work part time 3 days a week and do work term time but my pay is spread over 12 months - maybe thats where the 39 weeks comes in - thanx for your responses - will wait to be at the mercy of the tax credits grin

lou031205 Wed 30-Sep-09 19:09:46

Yes, that will be what it is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now