Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

£100 charge for dipping inadvertently into the red

(13 Posts)
midnightexpress Tue 29-Sep-09 13:56:53

My DM, a widow on a pension, has been a customer at her bank for 50 years and has never been overdrawn. She has an account in another bank where she keeps her savings, and transfers money to her current account regularly to top it up. She took her eye off the ball and dipped £80 into the red, unauthorised. Next thing, she has a letter telling her that they are charging her £100 for this. She phoned them up, explained that it was an oversight and that she'd just transferred £1000, but they refused to budge and were completely 'meh' when she threatened to close her account.

WWYD?

Seems that as a pensioner on a small income, closing the account is more hassle to her than to them.

randomtask Tue 29-Sep-09 14:03:22

I suspect you'd have to look into the paperwork but they're probably within their rights to fine her something unfortunately.

Get her to go the the CAB as they're amazing at dealing with this kind of thing and it's always full of pensioners when I go in there.

midnightexpress Tue 29-Sep-09 14:07:41

Oh I'm sure they're within their rights; you'd just thnk they might be able to operate a bit of discretion when such a long-term customer with such a good crdit record makes a mistake, wouldn't you? MAkes me so angry

randomtask Tue 29-Sep-09 14:11:46

I once paid cash into my credit card on the Friday (due Monday) and on the Saturday my card had been cancelled due to not paying. Never got an apology and wasn't anywhere near my limit.

I'm sure if they can make money out of anyone (and unfortunately confused pensioners) they will. angry

Katisha Tue 29-Sep-09 14:22:42

Oh don't start me. It's a case of "computer says no" I'm afraid and no - they are completely incapable of exercising any discretion whatsoever - being a long-term customer counts for nothing.
<Bitter>

midnightexpress Tue 29-Sep-09 14:25:25

That's it exactly katisha. The woman she spoke to went off to 'ask her supervisor' and then it was computer says no.

Bring back Mr Mainwaring the bank manager, I say.

Katisha Tue 29-Sep-09 14:27:55

I had occasion to demand to see the bank manager. They were very reluctant to get such a dignitary.
She turned out to be about 20 and wrote in big curly girly writing, all but putting smileys in the dots of the "i's"...
<Still bitter>

Lilyloo Tue 29-Sep-09 14:31:00

It's not Halifax is it ?
They always say they will get supervisor , doubt they have any intention doing so and sit on other end of phone , play you some music then say no!!! angry
I think she should change her bank , it won't be that hard on point of principle!

midnightexpress Tue 29-Sep-09 14:59:30

No, it's HSBC.

midnightexpress Tue 29-Sep-09 15:00:39

LOL at katisha's Bank Manager.

Do policemen look young to you too? wink

<shakes head in despair>

Katisha Tue 29-Sep-09 15:18:10

Well as we know the bank manager is actually the computer.

dilemma456 Wed 30-Sep-09 11:12:22

Message withdrawn

stressed2007 Wed 30-Sep-09 20:45:47

look at moneysavingexpert.com - Martin Lewis champions the fight against unfair bank charges - I think ultimately banks are going to have to pay back all of these charges. I am sure he has templates on there to send to bank invoking your rights in these circumstances. Take a look

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now