Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Is there a way I can pay a cheque made payable to my married name, in to an account in my maiden name?

(30 Posts)
HeadFairy Tue 29-Sep-09 10:42:28

The only branch for the bank in my married name is miles away, but I have a bank for which I have an account in my maiden name really close by (incidentally, they're both owned by Santander - Alliance & Leicester is in my married name, Abbey in my maiden name)

Perhaps if I take my marriage cert in to the Abbey branch, they'll let me do it? Anyone managed to do anything similar?

MamaG Tue 29-Sep-09 10:43:19

Yes, I did. I took him my marriage cert and asked them to change the name on my account, saying "oh I've got this cheque..."

twas fine

HeadFairy Tue 29-Sep-09 10:44:46

MamaG, I wasn't going to change the name on the account just yet... do you think they'll let me just pay the cheque in anyway?

popmum Tue 29-Sep-09 10:45:12

pop it in the post with paying in slip?

HeadFairy Tue 29-Sep-09 10:48:51

Do they still accept that kind of thing? I haven't used a cheque for so long but it's from my FIL and he's kind of old fashioned!

mumof2222222222222222boys Tue 29-Sep-09 10:50:01

Abbey wouldn't let me - even though we had a joint account Ms Jane X and Mr Y and the cheque was to Mrs Jane Y - with a marriage cert. First Direct said no problem.

Suspect it is down to the individual jobsworth clerk's discretion.

By the way my DH's name isn't Mr Y, it is far worse, and I have no intention of changing my name to his grin.

Ponders Tue 29-Sep-09 10:51:01

I have an A&L account & send all cheques in by post - they will provide you with pre-printed enevleopes & there are paying-in slips at the back of your cheque book.

I can put the address on here if you like?

Ponders Tue 29-Sep-09 10:51:46

enevleopes????

grin

HeadFairy Tue 29-Sep-09 11:00:30

Ponders, I don't have any pre printed envelopes, so if you've got the address, it would be great if you could give it to me, thanks!

Mumof22222, I'm curious now

Ponders Tue 29-Sep-09 11:04:58

Alliance & Leicester plc
Customer Transactions
BOOTLE
Merseyside
G1R 0AA

I thought there might be a box no or something but it's just their normal address plus Customer Transactions. You can request envelopes (or enevleopes...) on their website.

I've always used post for cheques because our nearest A&L is 15 miles away; I pay cash in at the PO & that's all the queueing I ever have to do, I love it!

Squishabelle Tue 29-Sep-09 11:10:44

You dont even need a pre printed envelope for A/L - any old envelope with the A/L address scrawled on will do. AND you dont even have to post them. Why buy a stamp - just hand it in at the Post Office (in the envelope) and they will send it in free of charge and give you a receipt for it.

HeadFairy Tue 29-Sep-09 11:13:41

Thanks ponders and squishabelle! That's fab!

Ponders Tue 29-Sep-09 11:27:12

There's a postbox about 200yds from my house, squishabelle - it's worth the price of a stamp not to have to trail to the PO & stand in a queue for 10 minutes grin

(OK if you're going anyway of course)

Squishabelle Tue 29-Sep-09 12:30:22

Very few Post Offices have queues these days - the Government has taken all their work away from them! 10 minute queues are sadly (in most offices) a thing of the long distant past!

alwayslookingforanswers Tue 29-Sep-09 12:33:01

no queues in post offices??????? oh god I wish

Squishabelle Tue 29-Sep-09 12:33:27

Also meant to add that by handing it in at the PO you also get a receipt AND its safer as there is no risk of being lost in the post OR held up for weeks by the postal strikes. The PO A/L stuff gets through regardless wink

Squishabelle Tue 29-Sep-09 12:34:37

With the exception of the inefficient crown offices there are no 10 minute queues now!

LoveBeingAMummy Tue 29-Sep-09 12:35:03

I ahve paid cheques in in a different name at the counter and never had a problem smile

alwayslookingforanswers Tue 29-Sep-09 12:38:59

you haven't been to our town post office (well the one in the town centre - the other 2 on the edge of town are usually empty as they're impossible to get to unless you have a car or live nearby) I can't remember the last time I queued for less than 20 minutes, and earlier this year was queuing for nearly 45!

nickelbabe Tue 29-Sep-09 12:40:27

squishabelle, are you conspiring with the top-nobs at RM who think that mail demands have gone down loads too?

they closed a couple of our post offices and the queue was out of the door yesterday morning and the queue waiting for it to open this morning was at least 30 people deep.

mumof2222222222222222boys Tue 29-Sep-09 12:44:14

Head fairy - would love all mumsnetters to have a laugh (maybe we should start a thread on silly surnames?) but don't want to id myself!

Suffice to say that early in our relationship DH had booked a (quite posh) restaurant in the name of X. The waitress snorted and then giggled and then apologised saying, "I suppose you always get that reaction!"

Ponders Tue 29-Sep-09 12:45:15

"With the exception of the inefficient crown offices there are no 10 minute queues now!"

that does read rather like propaganda grin (whose though? hmm)

All our subs closed ages ago & our town office often has horrendous queues. I think it depends when you go, but I don't go often enough to know when to avoid so usually have a jolly wait of at least 10 mins.

Ponders Tue 29-Sep-09 12:46:45

mumof222222, I had to speak to a lady called Hiscock the other day - is it like that? (It was v hard not to snort grin)

alwayslookingforanswers Tue 29-Sep-09 12:47:23

Ponders - I think I've tried every time of day possible. Seems to make sod all difference hmm

Squishabelle Tue 29-Sep-09 14:22:30

I have had to go into 2 main post offices lately and lots of the serving positions were closed. I think this is why they have queues. Maybe inefficient was the wrong word I just think they need more staff to open more positions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now