Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Separated but he owes me £10k

(6 Posts)
humblemum Sun 27-Sep-09 22:20:26

My H and I separated nearly 12 months ago, after a short marriage, during which time i very stupidly paid off all the debts he had when we first met, to the tune of around £10k. I dont have any receipts for any of these payments (in hindsight of course had I known what was going to happen, I would of course kept at least something).

I want to know if I can have this £10k written into the divorce. Background is that he came to the marriasge with nothing and left with nothing. The house was already mine, he just lived with me for around 18months, but due to him dong something dreadful, we were not actually a couple for some time before that.

He was never put on the mortgage, we had a joint bank account at one point, but when we split we changed that.

He had been re-paying me approx £100 a month for the last 12 months, but at that rate its going to take him 10 years to pay it off. He says he cannot pay anymore than that due to having to rent a flat and not earning much.

Any suggestions, not sure what to do, I really need that money back, how would a divorce court look at this?

babybarrister Mon 28-Sep-09 08:33:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

humblemum Mon 28-Sep-09 08:53:55

thanks for your reply. Is this still the case as he has categorically always said that he will never make any claim on my house etc, due to the way he behaved and the shame he bought on me and my family?

babybarrister Mon 28-Sep-09 12:57:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

humblemum Mon 28-Sep-09 15:28:41

Ok thanks, I will get on to sorting this out, I just thought as he had said he wouldnt claim, then I'd be ok. thanks again.

SolidGoldBrass Mon 28-Sep-09 15:31:44

Sadly you are going to have to write off the 10K as, given that you had nothing written down he would be able to claim that it was a gift and not a loan. As others have said, concentrate now nad making sure he ca't take you for anything else

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now