Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax credit problem

(16 Posts)
nutcracker Tue 07-Jun-05 13:46:57

I have recieved my pack to renew my claim but have just got dp's p60 out to find out what he earnt and the amount is wrong.

I think I know what has happened. Dp changed jobs at the end of june last year and I think they have only put his income for july to this april down, and not included the pervious april-end of june.

Does that make any sense ???

So can I just try and work out what he would of earned in his old job for those 3 mths or do I have to notify someone it is wrong ???

Aimsmum Tue 07-Jun-05 13:55:23

Message withdrawn

nutcracker Tue 07-Jun-05 14:13:32

Argggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh I bet I haven't got the bloody thing. Have a horrible feeliung I didn't think I'd need it and chucked it.

SaintGeorge Tue 07-Jun-05 14:17:59

P60's are only issued at tax year end I think. His details from his old job would be on his P45.
His old employers should have done a P60 for him at the year end but they don't always post them out - maybe he could get in touch and request it.
Otherwise, try contacting his current tax office using the reference number on his current P60 - they should have his records and be able to provide info.

nutcracker Tue 07-Jun-05 14:21:12

Ok thankyou both. Will have a sort through some paperwork later and see what I can find, if not i'll get on the phone.

jambo1707 Thu 09-Jun-05 20:26:09

i renewd my claim also but dreading the renewal conig through the door.

WEe will get sfa again and that depresses me, dont you feel working parents get shafted really rather than helped

pipsqueak Sun 12-Jun-05 22:15:10


we've just received our renewal/reassessment and the income we actulaly had for the last tax year is way below what we had estimated (dh is self employed and sadly it has not been as succesful as we had hoped). Does anyone know if we can have what we received last year reassessed because I'm faily sure our entitlement would be higher. if so is there a limit on how far back it can go i.e is it for the whole year or is it restricted to say 3 months? I feel a bit of a nit if we have lost out as we are permanently skint! any advice gratefully received.

Crazymama Sun 12-Jun-05 22:20:29

Hi Pipsqeak

You will get the whole year reassessed and any underpayment paid to you.

However dont get too exited - the diff might not be that much. Amazingly, you get rougly the same if you earn 50k, as you do if you earn 30k.

Call them tomorrow, my guess is you should get any money due within 4 weeks.

Good luck

SaintGeorge Sun 12-Jun-05 22:22:00

That's why they send the renewal assessment forms.

Tax Credits are always worked out on the previous years info. When the information is confirmed or amended at the end of each year, they adjust your credits accordingly. Ideally you would normally tell them throughout the year if there had been a drastic change of income but as self-employed you can't always do that so the year end forms are supposed to be a final check that you have had the correct credits.

Surfermum Sun 12-Jun-05 22:24:25

When you confirm your final income for 2004/5 they will adjust your tax credit accordingly. So if you've earned a lot less than they had you down for you will get a backpay for the whole year. DH is self-employed and I deliberately over-estimated our income for last year, because I wanted them to owe us money, not the other way round. I have just confirmed my income for the year and within a week had the backpay paid into the bank. If you are self-employed you can still estimate income for the year and have until Jan 06 to confirm it. We'll do dh's when our accountant has done his books. I've a vague idea what he earnt but have still over-estimated it with them, so we'll be getting some more backpay later. HTH

expatinscotland Sun 12-Jun-05 22:27:51

You can also take his old wage slips and calculate his income from his old job based on them.

The whole thing is such a crock, though. I wish I could a) get the website to work b) figure out how exactly they calculate these things.

I'm wanting to take a 6 month maternity leave at 90% of my wage, but can't do that if my tax credits don't go up, and don't have any way of knowing definitively if they will (my income is quite low - nowhere near 30k - and this will be our second child).

SaintGeorge Sun 12-Jun-05 22:43:18

expat - I have always found the web site estimates spot on to what I have actually received. When DH was due a pay rise I put in the new estimates and it calculated the change correctly.

pipsqueak Sun 12-Jun-05 23:08:45

Yippee ! This has really cheered me up. even if it is only a little it would be really welcome! Thank you all so much. I had a really bad feeling that i had messed it up . I should have known I could rely on MNers for such helpful advice.

SaintGeorge Sun 12-Jun-05 23:11:51

expat - if you want to email me I will tell you our wage/Tax Credit figures, it might help with your calculations - 2 kids, 1 income well under £30K

antlxstew @ (remove spaces)

Tiggiwinkle Mon 13-Jun-05 00:43:57

Pipsqueak-if your DH actually made a loss, you can also deduct the amount of the loss from any other income you had for the year as well I think.

Surfermum Tue 14-Jun-05 12:00:37

Yes, that's right. They've told me that if dh makes a loss it comes off my income.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: