Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Executor of Will......................

(5 Posts)
midlandsmumof4 Fri 25-Sep-09 18:32:09

Can we do it ourselves or do we need a solicitor. Has anyone been there, done it & possibly got the tee-shirt smile.

DelGirl Fri 25-Sep-09 18:40:34

Is it you that's the executor? If so, you can administer the will, you don't need a solicitor. Having said that, if the person has left a big estate, then I would be tempted to, as it can be quite a bit of work. hth

RubysReturn Fri 25-Sep-09 18:54:57

Yes have done it twice. Has changed a lot in last 8-10 years to become much simpler. Probate service are very gentle and helpful.

I have executed a small estate and one large enough to pay inheritance tax. However, they were both quite straightforward.

If you contact Probate service in first instance they will send you paperwork then you can see what is involved. The info you gather you will need, or you will save £ by having it ready for solicitor if you decide to get help.

I made a point of actioning one thing per day for the sake of my mental health, so I did not become overwhelmed. In retrospect it was probably cathartic, as it was the last thing I coudl do for them.

midlandsmumof4 Fri 25-Sep-09 20:24:18

Thanks for the replies. My OH's younger brother passed away 3 weeks ago aged 45. He named one of his sons (aged 21) and his partner's daughter (about the same age) as executors. They have no idea of what is involved so we have offered to assist as much as possible. Have downloaded paperwork for Probate or is it better to ring & actually speak to someone?

RubysReturn Fri 25-Sep-09 20:30:34

I think careful reading of info will probably give rise to questions that it is probably worth calling them with

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now