Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

oh I could scream - stupid data protection act and JSA.........

(28 Posts)
alwayslookingforanswers Fri 25-Sep-09 16:02:48

DH should have signed on on Tuesday just gone - and our fortnightly payment gone in today. Last I heard he was going to be ringing them on Tuesday to let them know he couldn't sign on. I've not spoken to him that much, and he's not been that communicative when he I have.

Checked his account today and it's not gone in. Rang to enquire whether he'd called, what was happening and even though it's joint claim (he's claiming for me) they couldn't tell me much as he has to authorise for me to talk to them.

All they could say was

he can write a letter saying I'm authroised to talk to them

He has to ring them to talk to them about it. as if he's in for more than 2 weeks then he has to claim ESA. He has to fill in a form to do that.

I can go and sign on for myself if he's going to be in longer

Nothing they can do about the fact that I still have bills to pay and children to feed and as things stand at the moment I'll be £360 a month down.

That was about all they could tell me because of the data protection act and the fact that he's claiming for me and it's not a "proper" joint claim.

I can get through to the end of next month - and into the next - but I won't make it to the end of the month and pay bills at the end of next month without some sort of benefit - we'd be living off Child Benefit and CTC.

DH isn't answering his phone - well he did a few minutes ago - but he wouldn't talk to me - he just hung up.

SIL2 is going to see him later and is going to chase up with the hospital (and DH hmm) what is happening but in the meantime I've effectiel "lost" a whole shed load of money.

alwayslookingforanswers Fri 25-Sep-09 16:31:09

oh bugger and I've just though - if they cancel his JSA because he/the hospital don't sort it quick enough the mortgage interest relief will stop as well fuck fuck fuck

LaurieFairyCake Fri 25-Sep-09 16:32:26

Why isn't he talking to you? have you fallen out?

alwayslookingforanswers Fri 25-Sep-09 16:34:00

because he's unwell in a psychiatric hospital

alwayslookingforanswers Fri 25-Sep-09 16:54:57

does anyone know if there's anything I can do at all??? Or do I just have to wait until the relevant person at the hospital sorts it out???

lou031205 Fri 25-Sep-09 17:23:13

Can you type a letter of authority, get SIL2 to take it in for him to sign?

3littlefrogs Fri 25-Sep-09 17:26:10

You can get a letter of authority for him to sign, if he will sign it.

I believe you can get temporary power of attorney if the psychiatrist will write a letter to the effect that he is not capable of managing his affairs ATM due to his illness.

You need legal advice asap TBH.

alwayslookingforanswers Fri 25-Sep-09 17:41:37

thanks - will look into that POA.

I was told last week that there was someone at the hospital who would deal with all the benefits side of things - obviously they haven't done anything yet like they should have done.

Which means I guess it's going to fall to me - I was hoping that they'd sort it out (As they apparently should have done) so it was one less thing for me to worry about.

Once benefits/finances are sorted I'm fine with managing the budget (been doing that for the last 6 months anyhow - I have his bank card and he asks for it/asks if there's any spare to spend when he needs it).

alwayslookingforanswers Fri 25-Sep-09 18:26:51

what on earth do I write in a letter of authority for him to sign???

Although not sure it's going to make much difference - probably be some time after the weekend by the time I manage to get it to him. By which time he'll have been in for nearly 2 weeks - which is when the JSA apparently then stops and he has to apply for ESA - again no doubt going to mean numerous expensive and long trip to see him to fill in forms.

arggggggg why couldn't the hospital do what they said they were going to do??

AxisofEvil Fri 25-Sep-09 18:35:05

Personally I'd go down the centre in person, explain the situation and that you need to make your own claim and basically make a public fuss until they agree to do yours seperately.

alwayslookingforanswers Fri 25-Sep-09 18:37:18

problem is although he's claiming for me - I'm not actually required to look for work as I'm studying "full time" (well by their definition) - and also I think (?) because of having young children.

If I claim on my own I'll lose £64 a week of the money that he currently gets - which we can't afford to do

lou031205 Fri 25-Sep-09 19:27:58

Dear Sir/Madam

I am writing to give alwayslookingforanswers full authority to act on my behalf until further notice.

Yours Sincerely


alwayslookingforanswers Fri 25-Sep-09 19:29:21

d'ya reckon they'd noticed if I copied his signature - be much less hassle than getting over there for him to sign it


alwayslookingforanswers Fri 25-Sep-09 19:29:54

oh and thank you - so much simpler than what I was imagining.

Northernlurker Fri 25-Sep-09 19:30:30

I think you need some help from a hospital social worker. If sil is in touch with them can she ask about it? Also - can anybody in the family lend you cash till the benefits are sorted?

alwayslookingforanswers Fri 25-Sep-09 19:33:39

she was hoping to go and see him this evening and ask about it when she was there. But haven't heard from her yet.

They have very few staff based at the hospital (it's basically just 4 wards that have opened in the midst of a construction site - the rest doesn't open until May next year) - so they seem to have minimal staff based there - no doctors working at the hospital, they're all based elsewhere in the town and do visits daily, and some of the people that have been assessing him are from another town completely (the one where he'll hopefully soon be transferred to).

So - in short - I think we're going to have to wait until Monday to get anywhere with them.

alwayslookingforanswers Fri 25-Sep-09 19:38:22

plus - they were told when he was admitted last week that someone from the hospital (or should I say more correctly another hospital that the psych one is attached to) would sort out all the benefits things. That was over a week ago and sod all seems to have happened.

Northernlurker Fri 25-Sep-09 19:41:53

I bet that someone is the social worker and the referrals been made but not acted on yet. Our social workers (renal) have a terrible caseload so I can only imagine what someone working in mental health will be facing. They will get to it though - and quicker if you chase it up.

alwayslookingforanswers Fri 25-Sep-09 19:44:20

problem is I don't know who to chase up - I've not even spoken to anyone that's actually looking after him on a daily basis - only someone from outside (from the hospital he'll hopefully be transferred to) doing an assessment.

I know SIL tried to chase it up on Monday but didn't get very far, and so far I've only had one vaguely helpful person on the phone when I've rung.

EldonAve Fri 25-Sep-09 19:49:32

Has he been sectioned? Apparently if you're a patient detained under section 45A or section 47 of the Mental Health Act you're not entitled to benefits

alwayslookingforanswers Fri 25-Sep-09 19:52:48

no he's not been sectioned (or at least if he has that's happened since he was admitted last week and I've not been told).

NormaStanleyFletcher Fri 25-Sep-09 19:55:23

Contact PALS at the hospital, or the one it is attached to first thing on Monday. Get them to advise you and chase it up for you?

Northernlurker Fri 25-Sep-09 20:00:40

Yes PALS is a good plan.. You need the name of somebody who is taking responsibilty for his care and then get on to them and ask what's available to help you manage this side of things.

alwayslookingforanswers Fri 25-Sep-09 20:02:26

will ring them on Monday morning - just hope the one I want is the first one I ring (there appear to be offices in the town - and I don't know which one is linked to the hospital he's in as none of them are based at the "main" place).

Northernlurker Fri 25-Sep-09 20:04:27

PALS are lovely people ime. If you get the wrong one they'll give you the number for the right people. Their whole job is about helping people.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: