Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

How easy is it to wind up a dormant Ltd co?

(7 Posts)
springlamb Thu 24-Sep-09 09:20:27

DH is in business as a sole trader. 3 years ago he changed accountant and tbh we have never been very happy with them. One of the first things they had him do was register as a Ltd, even though they said his turnover was not such he would be operating as a Ltd, well turnover is pretty much the same and our future plans have changed - we will now keep the sole trader business ticking over for another 3 years then we are anticipating a total change of lifestyle.
So we have this Ltd co sitting there doing nothing, we neither want nor need it, but of course there are costs involved in keeping it sitting there.
We are writing to the accountant tonight to say that we won't be using them anymore for the sole trader accounts. But I'd like to get rid of this Ltd, preferably without paying out for the accountants' time.
Is it really complicated, can I DIY?
Sorry, I'm very waffly today...

sitdownpleasegeorge Thu 24-Sep-09 13:06:46

If you ring companies house on 0870 3333636 and ask for advice I'm pretty sure it is just a matter of paying a fee (£10, I think) and completing a form (652a) and in due course the company will be struck off.

Definately DIY, no need for anyone else to do it for you.

springlamb Thu 24-Sep-09 19:03:22

Cheers, I will do that tomorrow.
Will feel so much better when we don't have these silly little things hanging round our necks!

ChasingSquirrels Fri 25-Sep-09 15:38:44

as pp said - you can get the form online on the Companies House website.

springlamb Fri 25-Sep-09 16:03:30

Thanks squirrels. I've had the dog in the dog hospital today so I'll get on with this on Monday.

MrAnchovy Fri 25-Sep-09 18:38:12

Get it in quick - the final provisions of the Companies Act 2006 come into force on 1st October and there will be new forms and no doubt some degree of disruption in the (normally excellent) Companies House telephone service.

You can find the current forms and guidance here so you don't have to wait to ring them on Monday.

More information about the imminent changes:

QUOTE:

Companies Act 2006 - Final Implementation

We are now approaching the final implementation of the Companies Act 2006 which will take place on 1st October 2009. Due to significant changes to Companies House systems and essential work that we need to undertake, our services may be affected between Wednesday 30th September and Monday 5th October.

Our online services will be closed on Saturday 3rd and Sunday 4th October.

springlamb Sat 26-Sep-09 14:39:34

Thanks MrA.

I've done it now! Could you all please come back and nag me when its time for my smear test - I'm always putting that off too!

Thanks y'all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now