Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

BANK CHARGES

(6 Posts)
insprognito Wed 23-Sep-09 10:17:48

Every month I pay my car insurance by DD ,it is meant to come out on the 6th of each month but always takes 3 days.The 6/9 was a Sunday so I thought fine i get paid on the 9th when it will come out.
However this month they took it on the 8th and the bank charged me £37 .Are they allowed to do this ? They also took it again on the 16th luckily I had the money in this time.

LoveBeingAMummy Wed 23-Sep-09 10:21:42

If it is due on the 6th then you must ensure the money is there for that date. Some banks apply debits and then apply credits meaning that even if you get paid ont he same day they can bounce the payment or charge for paying it. Which bank is it? Some will noe auto refund if you challenge them if the credit went in the same day.

trixymalixy Wed 23-Sep-09 10:29:04

Why don't you ask the car insurance co to change the date of the DD so it's after your pay date?

insprognito Wed 23-Sep-09 10:37:34

I just rang my insurance company and they said that yes it does always come out on the 9th as it takes 3 working days to process.However because the 6th fell on a Sunday they tried to take it out early on Friday the 4th so that's why it cleared a day early.Looks like i'll just have to notch it up to experience.It's Yorkshire bank btw.

wonderif Wed 23-Sep-09 14:59:14

i work for a bank and if this is the first time it has happened you should phone the bank and ask would they consider a refund.

LoveBeingAMummy Thu 24-Sep-09 08:29:03

Defo if the ins company have said they ahve taken early you should call the bank, basically the ins company have broken the terms of your arrangement.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now