Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Strange debt letter

(10 Posts)
LissyGlitter Tue 22-Sep-09 22:36:54

Does anyone know anything about debt?

A letter arrived at my parents house, through their redirection service as it was addressed to their old address, addressed to me using my old surname (which I haven't used for over two years now), telling me that a claim had been made against me. It told me to go to a website and put in the claim number for more details, which I did. It was (can this be a scam with a address?)

It says that some finance company I have never heard of say I owe them £241.45 plus costs.

I have sent them a message asking for more details as I have never heard of the company. Is there anything else I can do?

I know they can't just take the money from me, as I am poor, so even if I do owe it they will have to have a quid a week or something, but I honestly can't think why I would owe them money at all. Surely they would have sent me a letter at some point in the last two years telling me I owed them money if it was genuine? Am I being identity frauded?

Cowwomanmoo Tue 22-Sep-09 22:57:34

Do not contact them until you have talked to citizen advice. If they ring you do not admit to being you until you have talked to citizens advice.
Call citizen advice first thing tomorrow.

PerryPlatypus Tue 22-Sep-09 23:10:42

The finance company wasn't called CapQuest by any chance was it?

LissyGlitter Tue 22-Sep-09 23:14:35

Nope, CL Finance Limited.

iheartdusty Tue 22-Sep-09 23:23:19

that website is the proper legitimate website for making a court claim against someone, it is part of the Courts Service.

Does the claim number you were given begin with letter such as NO or NQ then about 8 numbers?

if so, it sounds as though a court claim has been made against you. In that case you MUST file a defence ASAP or else they will get a judgment ordering you to pay, even if you don't owe anything.

If you think you don't owe the money, go back to the website, type in the number, and fill out the online form called 'defence'. Make it short but clear.

if you have missed the date you might still be able to do it by post, if you're quick, otherwise you will have to think about applying to 'set aside' the judgment.

onadietcokebreak Tue 22-Sep-09 23:24:35

Google search threws up that company deal with GE capital which do alot of the Dorothy perkins/evans store cards.

Agree speak to citzens advice or national debtline. Do not admit to debt until you have taken advice

LaurieFairyCake Tue 22-Sep-09 23:26:08

Yes, it's the small claims court online. Sounds like they have a county court judgement against you. Get it set aside til you can dispute it - don't rely on the company to tell you, it will be in the claim.

I bet it's a utility like gas/electric/sky/phone/ntl.

PerryPlatypus Tue 22-Sep-09 23:26:51

This site was interesting. It looks as though CLF have a reputation.

LissyGlitter Tue 22-Sep-09 23:27:40

Ah-ha! I had a new look card for a bit, it could be that...I could have sworn I'd paid that off though. Not sure I still have any paperwork about it though, I doubt I'll have kept paperwork about a debt from three or more years ago.

elkiedee Tue 22-Sep-09 23:54:17

It's a pity that you have already sent them a message as it gives them an avenue to chase you, whether or not you owe the debt. Otherwise my advice would have been to ignore the whole thing.

I would apply for your credit reference file from Experian or another credit reference agency and see if a county court judgement has actually been recorded against you.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: