Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Claiming cost of medical treatment in France

(2 Posts)
Bounder Sat 19-Sep-09 19:56:27

I had some A+E treatment in France over a month ago, showed the European Health Insurance card, wasn`t asked for any payment. The bill has just arrived including details of the French Bank account into which I`m supposed to pay it in euros.
The booklet which came with the EHI cards suggests that partial re-imbursement can be claimed but only if you do it while still in France, so that`s out.
I don`t really mind paying, it`s not alot, but wondered whether anyone had ever successfully claimed the cost in the past (possible reciprocal arrangement with the NHS?). Also if I do have to pay, how do I do it practically as it`s in euros?
Didn`t involve insurance company by the way as didn`t seem worth the hassle, would have had to pay an excess anyway and then would have had a claim history.
Any advice welcome!

MmeLindt Sat 19-Sep-09 20:32:42

Not sure about claiming but you will be able to do a European bank transfer to pay the bill. Ask your bank, but be warned the charges can be steep.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now