Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Two jobs, where do I stand on tax?

(6 Posts)
LuluSkipToMyLou Fri 18-Sep-09 12:22:35

Hope someone can help please, I've been offered a second part-time job, the two net salaries combined are less than my personal allowance. I'm told I have to pay basic rate tax by default on the second job; does anyone know if I'm able to claim this back at the end of the tax year?

Thanks!

Kammy Fri 18-Sep-09 17:43:06

Tax office should automatically calculate it and give it back. You need to tell second employer that it is your second job and fill ina form for them to calculate tax. I have 2 jobs and get any excess tax repaid in April.

LuluSkipToMyLou Fri 18-Sep-09 22:27:05

Ah ok, thanks for that, it seemed a bit unfair to tax me in spite of me earning a pittance, good to know it'll come back in the end!

roquefort Sat 19-Sep-09 19:54:24

You can ask for your tax code to be split between your two employers so that you don't need to wait until the end of the tax year for a refund. It may take a few phone calls but it can be done - find out which offices deal with each of the employers. Repayments do not always happen automatically so if you are due one you may need to write but HMRC have just brought in new software which may make things easier.

LuluSkipToMyLou Sun 20-Sep-09 08:25:14

Thanks for that, I'll look into splitting my tax code then, if I can stop them nicking my cash to start with that's even better!

littlerach Sun 20-Sep-09 08:28:33

I had to split my tax code for this reason.
One hjob was a set salary so easier.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now