Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Should we complain?

(12 Posts)
jofeb04 Thu 17-Sep-09 19:51:51

Hiya,

My husband has a credit card which we have gone over on (I know!). The company has been trying to get hold of him at our home address on the phone.

The first call came in at 8.15am this morning, in which I told the guy that my husband was in work all day.

Then another call came in around half twelve (it was the automated phonecall), then another half an hour later in which again, I told the guy that my husband was in work, and I don't appreciate having phonecalls within half a hour of each other. After I spoke to the superviser, and was promised no more phonecalls and that my husband would phone back when he gets home, I thought that would be it. (As they will not talk to me as I am only a card holder).

6pm, and another automated phonecall, 6.20, another, and two minutes later, another. All from the automated system of the company.
I rang back (as husband is still in work) to complain, and once I got to the superviser, I was told after explaining how I do not appreciate having so many phonecalls within a ten hour period, nor having the calls with no-one answering their side, and also how once I hung up as husband was not available I was not able to use my phone as the message was still playing: We will deal with your complaint only when your husband contacts us. I feel this was a form of Blackmail, and just because it was from a big company, it does not make it right.

What do you think? Is it worth making a formal complaint?

thisisyesterday Thu 17-Sep-09 19:53:52

yes, i would. it's harassment

MadameCastafiore Thu 17-Sep-09 19:55:01

So you can take the piss with their money and you expect them just to call when convienient?

Rhian82 Thu 17-Sep-09 19:59:37

But her husband was the one with the account, and they were harassing her, despite repeatedly being told he wasn't there!

jofeb04 Thu 17-Sep-09 20:00:40

Thanks Thisis....
DH is on the phone to them now...this evenings complaint is not even on the record.

Madom....we know we owe them the money, but why phone twice in two minutes?

jofeb04 Thu 17-Sep-09 20:01:01

Opps...sorry, Madame even!

MadameCastafiore Thu 17-Sep-09 20:03:13

I am sure they are told lots and lots of times that the person with the account is not there when they are.

You should not have gone over your credit limit and they would not be ringing you.

jofeb04 Thu 17-Sep-09 20:03:32

We've even talked to them now, and they're happy to wait till the end of the month. They have just bloody rang back!

jofeb04 Thu 17-Sep-09 20:07:01

Madame,
we know we owe the money, the issue is that we have phone calls (2 in two minutes, and 2 in half hour), and right now, after dh has just spoken to them about paying the money back and the complaint, he is on the phone once more with them phoning us.

blushingm Fri 18-Sep-09 18:21:02

can i ask..........is it barclaycard?

they rang us 28 times in one weekend despite promising us that there would be no further calls??

jofeb04 Sat 19-Sep-09 12:37:55

Blushing, yes it is!

SarahLondon1 Tue 22-Sep-09 14:50:57

The harassment of a debtor is a criminal offence. They are entitled to contact you but they must give you a reasonable amount of time to respond.

Several phone calls within a short space of time is not acceptable. I would complain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now