Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

I work 20 hrs and get minimum wage. Dh on less than £20k. Would I be worse off going back to college to study?

(9 Posts)
ssd Thu 17-Sep-09 15:51:42

can anyone advise me?

I have 2 kids and earn 20 hrs a week at minimum wsge, dh on around £20k, minus a few hundred quid.

would I be better off studying to improve my chances of a better job? I'd need childcare paid as I have no family help and I couldn't afford wraparound if I wasn't earning (actually I get less per hour now than the cost of 2 kids at wraparound!)I work school hours just now.

any advice appreciated (I'm in Scotland BTW)

don't know what I'd study, just didn't think it was a possibility to someone in my position money-wise.

ssd Thu 17-Sep-09 16:07:26

bump

AxisofEvil Thu 17-Sep-09 16:18:00

I'd suggest you go to entitled to and play with the figures - should give you an idea of benefit levels in each scenario

AxisofEvil Thu 17-Sep-09 16:20:21

entitledto.com

HappyMummyOfOne Thu 17-Sep-09 18:57:06

You wouldn't qualify for help from tax credits for childcare if only your DH would be working so you would have to see if the college would pay childcare fees based on your household income.

You'd obviously lose your salary so yes you would be worse off money wise unless you are doing a course with a bursury.

ssd Thu 17-Sep-09 19:38:27

thanks, do you have any idea the maximum amount of bursary you can get or how long it lasts for?also do you get help with course fees?

sorry to be vague, have no idea about this!

bitofadramaqueen Thu 17-Sep-09 19:49:51

I don't know the answer, but learndirect should be able to provide you some advice with funding etc. There's advisors you can speak to. depending on what you study, you might find part-time or evening courses that you could fit around work and childcare. Give them a call. Good luck.

bitofadramaqueen Thu 17-Sep-09 19:50:25

There are not there's blush

ssd Thu 17-Sep-09 20:42:57

good idea thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now