Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

please help me - urgent - ref council tax!

(4 Posts)
Watchtheworldcomealivetonight Thu 17-Sep-09 12:16:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

taodao Thu 17-Sep-09 12:44:37

have you tried to call citizens advice bureau? they may be able to help you

lal123 Thu 17-Sep-09 12:56:16

they are talking rubbish - it has to go to court before they can send the bailiffs round. Call CAB or try one of the forums here

scaryteacher Thu 17-Sep-09 14:31:08

You need to:
1: Prove that you told them your change of address.

2: Establish when the reminders and summons were sent, and to where.

3: Establish the liability order date.

4: Prove when you moved out of that address and when your tenancy ended there, or when your ex took over responsibility for the property. Check that they are only charging you for the time you were the liable person and not for the whole year, as you could have already paid most of it iyswim.

5: If they do NOT have an liability order against you, then they can't send in the bailiffs, or arrest you. I would also try to prove the dates of the stay in hospital so that you can show you had no access to any post at that time. If they are going to get an l.o. then make an arrangement and stick to it; make it for an amount you can afford and then pay more if you can. Keep paying the amount agreed. Don't agree to an amount you know you can't afford just to get them off your back, as that doesn't work and you look bad if you default again. The bailiffs will make an arrangement with you, but will add their costs as well.

Arresting you is a last resort; they would try to trace you in other ways and attach to your earnings or benefits first. It's better for them to have an amount coming in and reducing the debt, than running the risk of the Magistrate refusing to imprison you, as the Mags prefer to make an arrangement with you first. If they send you to prison, then I think the debt gets written off, so they get no money, and that doesn't make sense.

If you get no sense out of the person you are speaking to, ask to speak to a supervisor and talk to them. You can insist on this. Also, ask for the name of the person you have spoken to and say you will be writing to confirm the conversation and your offer to make an arrangement if they don't let you do so. You can show this to the magistrates if it gets that far.

Hope that helps.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: