Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

I am so stupid. I just ordered a load of stuff from M&S going to our OLD address

(12 Posts)
Jumente Wed 16-Sep-09 20:20:53

I feel like screaming.

Ten days ago I ordered several pairs of school trousers, about 10 pairs of tights for me, and two tops, and for some unknown reason didn't notice hmm that the default address was still our old one? I can't understand it. It's only when I rang them tonight that it turns out they have eben sent there.

I don't know what to do. She said they can't refund it unless it comes back to them, so I have to rely on the goodwill of the person at that address to refuse the parcel and RM to get it together to sedn it back to M&S.

I am gutted - ds is surviving on two pairs of trousers that fit, and the whole lot was about £65 worth.

ARGHHHHH

Is there anything I can do?

pasturesnew Wed 16-Sep-09 20:21:27

If it's sent via Royal Mail then can't you set up a redirection?

Littlefish Wed 16-Sep-09 20:24:18

I did this with a Sainsburys online order last week. It was the first one since we moved house. Unfortunately, the person who now lives in our old house just sent it away, rather than directing it 5 doors away to where we now live. angry

Could you go round to your old address and talk to them, or is it miles away?

Jumente Wed 16-Sep-09 20:49:03

It's about 2 miles away - I will go round and ask them to keep it for me if it turns up. But I have no idea who they are or whether they are honest enough iysiwm.

It appears M&S ahve NO tracking facility for items sent via RM hmm so have no idea where the parcel is.

I am angry that they are so stupid. I am even angrier with myself, though I feel absolutely SURE I didn't click on 'place order' with my old address on the page. I'm not that dim, honestly.

I guess this is just going to have to be written off isn't it.

What is the betting that the people at the old house have just accepted the parcel and binned it, or that even if they did refuse it RM will lose it somewhere.

It's just so shite.I should have just pretended to still live there and say it hadn't turned up. Then I might have got something back!

No, no if it WAS my fault I don't want to defraud anyone. But I have a feeling it wasn't.

Jumente Wed 16-Sep-09 20:50:38

Littlefish that is so ridiculous of them angry

we moved over a year ago and I used redirection for about 6 months. It isnt the regular post though, it's the parcels service and it's just possible it's the parcel guy we used to know, and he has realised and returned it - but equally possible it's someone else who doesn't know us at all sad

What a fecking nightmare.

pasturesnew Wed 16-Sep-09 20:50:51

Another thought - did you buy it on a credit card? If so you might have have some cover on this, worth calling your card co. to check?

Jumente Wed 16-Sep-09 20:52:59

Thankyou so much, but no, it was debit - and the bank say that even though the billing address doesn't match the registered card address, there's nothing the bank can do because the website authorised the transaction even though it would have flagged up.

I did this for some blueberry bushes after I moved house. Worst thing was though I actually inputted my old address. Was too embarrased to ring the company up and tell them and never went round to see the new people either.

pasturesnew Wed 16-Sep-09 20:59:45

I wonder what the odds are that the people in your old home will not be in to collect the delivery, you could try taking your passport to the post office in case it has not been delivered and has been held at the post office?

As a last resort, you could write a stiff letter to M&S, copying a national newspaper's money advice page, criticising the website and hope they might give you a refund as a goodwill gesture.

Hope you do get it from your old address though.

Jumente Wed 16-Sep-09 21:08:59

Oh Stripey sad How embarrassing.

Pastures, yes I wondered that - I don'tknow them, but will pop round tomorrow and ask if they have had anything - if there's anyone in. I'll also go to the sorting office and ask.

This is so crap. I can't believe it's happened. Actually I can after M&S delivered a mattress 4 times after I'd cancelled the order. I should have known not to trust their online ordering again...

Jumente Thu 17-Sep-09 05:03:12

Ok, not that I am unduly worried (enough to be awake a bit, erm, early) but I have realised that because M&S allow you to make orders using any address in your address book, in theory it doesn't matter whether I live there any more or not.
If the people at the house have my parcel, great, I'll get it from them - unless they are dishonest and have opened it and sold 20 pairs of tights on ebay/binned the lot/ etc etc.

If they had a card, I'll go and claim it from the post office.

If it's gone from the post office back to M&S I'll try and get proof of that in case M&S don't get it back.

And if the people at the house have no knowledge or card then I will tell M&S it has been lost in transit and they ought (ought, I say - who knows if they will) to stump up a refund.

The tricky bit is going to be communication, really. Why on earth don't they track their RM parcels? They would have no idea if someone falsely claimed non delivery. Nothing.
It's just bad practise.

I wonder though if the delivery man left the parcel outside in the rain anyway...he used to do that all the time. Not signed for so who knows.

Jumente Thu 17-Sep-09 05:05:28

Or if the people at the house have distributed said tights (and 4 pairs of boys trouusers) among their friends and acquaintances, getting some kind of recompense from them isn't going to be easy...Oh dear. Nobody sane would do that. surely?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now