Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can anyone answer this tax credits question?

(17 Posts)
alwayslookingforanswers Wed 16-Sep-09 11:56:51

It's slightly hypothetical as it depends on the outcome of later today. But anyhow

Can you claim working tax credits if you're a married couple - but not currently living together?? But not "separated" in the usual sense of the word??

Just trying to work out some practical stuff.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Wed 16-Sep-09 18:20:32

Do you mean one of you will be working elsewhere? Or is someone expecting be be, um, away at HM pleasure?

alwayslookingforanswers Wed 16-Sep-09 18:22:32

no not at HM pleasure. We'll be living in separate places for a while (not sure how long yet) and he'll hopefully be working, but we're intending to live together again at some point in the future - but don't know when.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Wed 16-Sep-09 18:25:42

Hmm, I'm no expert at all, maybe you could try CAB/Jobcentre for advice?

Northernlurker Wed 16-Sep-09 18:28:07

I think a lot would depend on where your partner considered his home address to be and had bills etc to back that up. Why don't you ring the tax credits helpline - the number is on all the bumpf and they should know the rules if anyone does.

alwayslookingforanswers Wed 16-Sep-09 18:35:13

I'm not up to phoning around doing this stuff just yet, so thought I'd just ask on here incase anyone knew.

Shall get SIL to call and investigate - thanks smile

Northernlurker Wed 16-Sep-09 18:48:27

Are you ok? Sounds like a bit of stressful situation.

alwayslookingforanswers Wed 16-Sep-09 19:05:56

I'm been better (and worse). smile

GypsyMoth Wed 16-Sep-09 19:08:56

i know the prob from your other thread.....ring and explain it,but new claims might be better,you'd be on Income support tho,perhaps not great for you

glad to hear you're getting on with things and thinking a head

alwayslookingforanswers Wed 16-Sep-09 19:17:01

hmm - brain isn't quite working properly (I've had a manic day doing stuff outside the house having had very little, and disturbed sleep) - so please humour me and tell me if this gives me the answer of yes we'd get it \link{\the bit about couples that are temporarily apart)

(This is of course presuming that the 2nd assessment he's had this afternoon says that he's ok to work - in which case SIL is going to try to ensure he's working just about every hour of the day to keep him occupied)

HappyMummyOfOne Wed 16-Sep-09 19:17:06

You can still claim as a couple if one has to live elsewhere for work, ie army, commuting home etc but still declares the main residence as "home".

If the other person lives in a separate house full time then they can only claim WTC in their own right if the salary is low enough and they are over the age for claiming as a single person/have children in residence.

alwayslookingforanswers Wed 16-Sep-09 19:40:20

oh I'm confused now - best get SIL to ring and find out I think. We're not going to be living together for a while, but he's hoping to be working, and then money he makes will be used to pay his living costs where ever he lives, and the rest be used to pay the bills here - most of which are in his name (and will stay in his name).

<<<<<<bangs head on desk with confusion>>>>>>>

still - totally off topic I have a happy smiley 9yr old who says he's had a brilliant birthday so that's the first hurdle past.

IneedacleanerIamalazyslattern Wed 16-Sep-09 19:53:38

You can claim jointly and as a couple if the both your main address, ie your permentant where post goes the address you give to people etc.
IF you are living apart with both of you using different addresses as your home address then you are not classed as a couple in Tax Credits definition of the word.

So if your DH is still using your now home address as his permenant address but will be in digs so to speak while working away joint claim is fine. If he is basically moving out and his new address will be his home address for all his correspondance etc then no you can't have a joint claim.

alwayslookingforanswers Wed 16-Sep-09 19:57:35

and what if one of the couple has letters (bills) going to both addresses and the other couple only to one?? So if his credit card and mobile phone bill (for example) went to the "family home" - and his mortgage information (for the family home) and other stuff going to the other one?

Why is my life never simple??

alwayslookingforanswers Wed 16-Sep-09 19:58:20

I'm going to have to get her to call aren't I - this is too complicated for my brain to work out.

HappyMummyOfOne Wed 16-Sep-09 22:15:33

"We're not going to be living together for a while, but he's hoping to be working, and then money he makes will be used to pay his living costs where ever he lives, and the rest be used to pay the bills here - most of which are in his name (and will stay in his name)."

If thats the case, it cant be a joint claim - he can claim WTC as a single person if his hours/income qualify. From the above, he's not living apart for work reasons.

alwayslookingforanswers Thu 17-Sep-09 03:42:43

thanks - think I'll still get SIL to check and clarify though as I found this on their website

" For couples who are temporarily apart

You should still make a joint claim if:

* your partner is away from home for a while, for example they may be working away or in hospital
* you and your partner have separated for a short time but you're going to get back together"

not sure what qualifies as a "short time" - but we are going to be getting back together.

And if it is a single claim he needs to make then I need to find out if I can claim CTC if I'm not getting benefits (which I won't qualify for as the money that he's making is primarily going to be given to me to pay the bills here - half of which are in his name)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: