Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can I claim anything?

(3 Posts)
Naetha Tue 15-Sep-09 13:04:37

I was made redundant last December, and have since been unable to get any work that would pay enough to cover childcare. I did not claim any benefits as we had savings greater than £16k (the remains of an inheritance), but this has gone on the mortgage when it came up for renewal.

I'm pregnant, and DC2 is due in November.

Would I be entitled to any benefits other than child benefit and child tax credits?

Is there any equivalent of maternity allowance for someone that has been trying, but unable to find work?

I've had a look on direct.gov, and went through the questionnaire, but it doesn't class imminent or recent birth as preventing you from working.

Things are tight, so would be great to know if I am entitled to anything. DH works full time, and earns £28k.

magnolia74 Tue 15-Sep-09 16:52:41

I doubt it to be honest, £28k is a pretty good salary for a family of 3 (and 4)in the eyes of the government.You will get more tax credits when the baby is born though smile

LIZS Tue 15-Sep-09 16:58:12

You might still get Maternity Allowance here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now