Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

OK you brainy lot - what can we claim?????

(7 Posts)
Gwenick Fri 03-Jun-05 16:29:45

Right I'm fed up of literally scraping by claiming only Tax Credits.

DH works full time, but on our business (he's not actually self employed though as the business is a LTD one which means he's an employee of the company [confused] which is yet to break even. This means we effectively have no income.....

2 children, 18 months and 4 3/4yrs, I don't work, own our own home...........

I've just been trying to look at the DWP website etc and am COMPLTELY confused as to what we can claim.

compo Fri 03-Jun-05 16:31:30

Have you tried the Inland Revenue site?

Gwenick Fri 03-Jun-05 16:32:18

yes - and still totally confused LOL

katierocket Fri 03-Jun-05 16:34:05

does he pay himself a salary? I think it all depends on annual income of the household.

Gwenick Fri 03-Jun-05 16:34:43

well yes and no

he would pay himself a salary if the business was making a profit

biglips Fri 03-Jun-05 16:34:59

best to call them if its confusing and they go thru the questions with you and tell you what you are entitled to

have you tried the CAB and ask for the "welfate benefit officer" as its usually on yourcouncil website eg you live in sefton, liverpool and you look on the sefton council and it be there

expatinscotland Fri 03-Jun-05 16:35:25

Child Benefit.

You can increase your Child Tax Credits and Working Tax if you go out to work and put the kids w/a registered childminder.

Are any of your children disabled? If so, then Disability Living Allowance and possibly Carer's Allowance for you.

Can't get housing benefit b/c you are an owner and not a renter.

I'll have a think but that's all I can come up with just now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now