Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Do Letting Agents want a credit reference?

(7 Posts)
mampam Mon 07-Sep-09 16:11:27

Just wondering if Letting Agents/Estate Agents want a credit reference from the bank before you can rent a property? If so what does this entail?

Thanks.

Rebeccaj Mon 07-Sep-09 19:45:42

Not in our case, no, a work reference sufficed.

FlatulentStarfish Mon 07-Sep-09 20:54:28

Hi Mampam

In my case, the letting agency used the credit agency called Experian. They did a credit check on me and they contacted my employer to find out what my earnings were.

They didn't contact my bank though.

Good luck!

Morosky Mon 07-Sep-09 21:11:54

They did in our case, or said they did anyway. Also took work and personal references and wanted to know how much I earned.

thesouthsbelle Mon 07-Sep-09 21:20:17

yes mine did came back as bankrupt hmm we're not btw. but I gave them guarantors & explained. They contacted the employer for mum as well plus XH's as well.

mampam Mon 07-Sep-09 23:01:22

Thanks, we're kind of in an awkward situation at the moment. We live in a private rented house in an expensive area of the country and want to move to where my DH is from, which happens to be a cheap part of the country to live. We'll be much better off financially as there are more job opportunities, rent is much cheaper etc.

The only trouble is DH's job has gone from bad to worse and we have been struggling to pay our bills. We're up to date with our rent and essential bills but don't have enough money to pay our debts. The CAB are helping us but we'll obviously get a bad credit rating now because of this.

We want to better ourselves and move to a cheaper area but it seems as if we're in a catch 22 situation if we have to have a credit reference.

thesouthsbelle Tue 08-Sep-09 07:38:06

my advice mam is try, as I say we have a shocking rating (IVA) just be prepared to come back at them and say ok, would you consider a guarantor if you have one. I also told my letting agent I was likely to fail it but didn't tell them why, they were happy to try anyhow. Then again thou this was 24-18 months ago just before everything crashed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now